This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Rights re: pet being stolen?

Hi there-ANY and ALL advice and/or resources is appreciated.
    Long story short:

- Lived with my former common law for 2.5 years (we were together for 4);
    - When we broke up, I left him the house (which I do not own BUT I contributed towards the mortgage every month)-I also renovated the house;
    - Left all furniture/contents in the house for his and his kid's use;
    - Stated in writing that I left everything (per the above) and wanted nothing but the dog;
    - Was set to move out of the country and bang-he disappeared with my dog.

The dog is registered with the city of Ottawa under MY name. My point is this-am I legally able to obtain him armed with the dog being registered in my name?

This is... incredibly painful. For someone who does not have or want children, this dog is MY kid. Seems silly, but there it is... As it stands, I know alot of people who have had this happen to them (seems to be a trend amongst people with no kids...), and as such, I wanted to have any kind of information and/or advice.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

~Melissa

is the dog just registered in your name for dog tags?? Do you have vet bills in just your name?? Sounds like you may have to start playing a bit of hardball in order to get your furbaby back. The more bills etc that show your name with stuff dealing with the dog proves that you were the owner. Looks like he is just trying to be an ass. I would see if you can play hardball and get a lawyer to send him a letter stating that unless you get the dog back (healthy and in one piece) then you will go after him for the money you contributed for furniture etc. Maybe it will be enough to scare him.

As a childless couple our cat is our kid also so I know how attached one can get.

Comment

has it been long since you left? Did he immediately take the dog? I would almost consider that kidnapping.

I think putting all the bills together with your name on them is the best you can hope for. WHY would he do that?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X