Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing accounts without court order?

Can an ex-spouse freeze a joint line of credit account without the other spouse's approval, and without a court order, or does her lawyer have the right to get this done even thought no one's touched the account since the separation, and I've always been making support payments?

Since it is a joint account, I believe either party can specify that no withdrawals be made without their concurrence. I'm not sure if this constitutes "freezing the account". You could theoretically still get money out if your spouse is willing to co-sign the withdrawal slip.

Comment

Yes

Either party can freeze the account. You should meet with your bank manager immediately to have this done if she has not done so already. Once it is frozen you can't undo what has been done without your x's consent. If the money is being used for something other than the house be very cautious, because whatever it is being used for can and will come up if it is not appropriate.

Comment

Anyone can close a joint account

I cancelled all of my ex's credit cards that were under my primary cards. I also closed all the joint accounts (chequing and borrowing) without a problem. However, I was not allowed to convert joint accounts to individual ones. My understanding to this matter is that you need a court order only when your spouse has substantial funds in his/her private accounts.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X