This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a house together - common law

My STB common law partner and I are considering purchasing a house together, and I'm hoping to get advice on what mistakes to avoid in order to make sure that if we split, it is as easy/clear as possible that we each get out proportionately to what we put in (is that sensible or sad, I'm not sure!).

- Each of us currently own our own houses outright and have significant other assets; we would each likely sell our houses.
    - We would likely purchase the new house outright
    - The house would likely be a reno project i.e. lots of sweat equity from both of us
    - My partner has young child with ex; ex has sole custody; all separation/cs/custody issues are settled
    - I want to minimize visibility of my financials because partner's ex is extremely hostile, feels entitled, and likely to come sniffing for more $$
    - We will not be marrying or having children together
    - I have no children of my own

Get a legal Cohabitation agreement! I am getting screwed big time because he had a secret gambling . He is entitled to spousal support because he didn't go to work all the time!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X