Rich People Divorce In the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich People Divorce In the News

McCain heiress annulment case is so acrimonious that her estranged husband?s lawyer has his own lawyers | National Post

During those proceedings, psychiatrist Dr. Douglas Weir assessed the marriage and concluded that David should be awarded sole custody of their children. McCain filed a complaint with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario and it found the report to be “objectionable.” She said in her filing that Niman and Melanson will use the report along with other personal information they have on her, but Melanson denied having any specific knowledge of the report. He claimed he’s never read it.

Lisus and Michell are looking to strike the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario report discrediting the Weir report from evidence, claiming that its use is barred by the Regulated Health Professions Act.
    I am assuming this is a Section 30 report. If it is part of the continuing record from the previous divorce it isn't barred by the Regulated Health Professions Act. It was either ordered or agreed upon under Section 30 of the Children's Law Reform Act.

Rich people... they are so stupid.

Poor people would be just as stupid if the cost of lawyers represented a much smaller portion of their discretionary income. Rich people can afford lawyers, so they use lawyers.

See legal aid, you get the same type of idiocy. Maybe not lawyers for lawyers, but other stances that wouldn't make sense if both people faced financial ruin if they fought it out in court.

Comment

I can't help but find it hilarious when a useless husband gets alimony from a rich wife.... like really really funny.... its like gender based karma....

Comment

I'm stunned that one of the McCain ex's was awarded 175k A MONTH....sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          I'm stunned that one of the McCain ex's was awarded 175k A MONTH....sheesh.
          I was more shocked that the other party had 500,000,000 (Five hundred million.) I had no idea that french fries were worth that much!

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
            Poor people would be just as stupid if the cost of lawyers represented a much smaller portion of their discretionary income. Rich people can afford lawyers, so they use lawyers.

See legal aid, you get the same type of idiocy. Maybe not lawyers for lawyers, but other stances that wouldn't make sense if both people faced financial ruin if they fought it out in court.
            Even a legal aid lawyer wouldn't bother with an annulment. I mean that is a total long shot money grab by any lawyer. Even crooked lawyers wouldn't try that.

Comment

I was curious about that annulment thing too. My understanding is that an annulment (as distinct from divorce) doesn't meant the marriage is over, it means the marriage never existed in the first place - one of the parties was not capable of consenting to marriage, deception was used to induce one of the parties to agree to marry, etc. The only times I've heard of marriages getting annulled is when one person wants to marry someone else and they belong to a religion which does not recognize second marriages - so with an annulment, they can claim that they have never been married.

Comment

it's true, an annulment is such a long short... In this case it's more of an emotional response I bet and she has money to burn.

Comment

wild goose chase?

Comment

yeah I think the annulment is a verrrrrry long shot. The "Mrs." looks/appears like she's been "ridden hard and put away wet" if you get my drift...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X