No announcement yet.

He only wants to communicate through my lawyer as he doesn't have one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I had a back up plan. He has shot down mediation, a four way settlement mgt (when he had a lawyer), a communication log book, and lastly me sending communication emails concerning our son to his partner.

I don't really want to let my lawyer go due to not really knowing what I'm doing half the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell your lawyer to answer any communications from your ex with the following:

"I have received your message concerning xxx. I will consult with my client and respond accordingly. Sincerely, "

Nothing more than that, until you direct her otherwise. Don't "propose" this to her, TELL her.

Your lawyer absolutely does not have to respond to his requests for lists of mediators (he's heard of the Yellow Pages, right?) and other busywork. I would love to see the "legal duty" which compels her to act as reference librarian for the opposing party in her client's case and then bill her client.

Comment

Thank you. I will take your advice. My gut also told me the same.

Comment

take your lawyer off record. you can always put her back on when needed but makes you self rep and ex will have to figure out to deal with you

Comment

Tonight I received an email from my lawyer. She basically fwd me my ex's email to her concerning a pair of prescription glasses he found for our son (I took son to eye doctor and submitted prescription in communication log book that never came back)

Now dad is asking lawyer (because he has asked that I don't communicate with him and I asked the same) to advise me on where the glasses are to be purchased and how much they cost.

My lawyer already responded to him in saying that she will advise me. Now she's asking me how I would like for her to proceed with this email and all the others he's been emailing her about.

All I want to scream is 'get your own lawyer!'

I will certainly tell my lawyer to not waste her time and waste my money when he can simply use other facets of communication.

Comment

Originally posted by momofonegreatboy View Post
              Tonight I received an email from my lawyer. She basically fwd me my ex's email to her concerning a pair of prescription glasses he found for our son (I took son to eye doctor and submitted prescription in communication log book that never came back)

Now dad is asking lawyer (because he has asked that I don't communicate with him and I asked the same) to advise me on where the glasses are to be purchased and how much they cost.

My lawyer already responded to him in saying that she will advise me. Now she's asking me how I would like for her to proceed with this email and all the others he's been emailing her about.

All I want to scream is 'get your own lawyer!'

I will certainly tell my lawyer to not waste her time and waste my money when he can simply use other facets of communication.

This is beyond silly.

Your lawyer does not need to proceed at all with this email or any others. All she needs to do is keep forwarding them to you. My suggestion is to wait until you have a lot of emails, then send him one reply (even though he doesn't want email from you) addressing each issue as briefly as possible in a numbered list, e.g.

1. Prescription for glasses can be filled at ABC Optometrist.
              2. Soccer registration is on Wednesday Dec 6 at XYZ School

Don't engage in email volleys over every separate issue. Don't even mention emotional issues that have nothing to do with Kid. And do try to set up OurFamilyWizard. There is no reason why adults can't communicate factual information directly to each other.

If something is an emergency, he'll contact you. If it's not an emergency, there's no reason why your lawyer (or his partner) has to play broken telephone.

Comment

He doesn't need to get his own lawyer. You may simply direct your lawyer to respond to communications specifically regarding your separation and divorce and to advise him that she is only responsible for such communication, all other communication should be directed to you. Don't have her forward his emails to you as this will still cost you money, have her ignore anything that is beyond her responsibilities. You control what your lawyer does, not him.

Agreed on the Our Family Wizard for communication.

Comment

www.ourfamilywizard.com

Yep. I mentioned what Blink suggested on page 1 of your thread. This would solve all of your communication issues.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X