Please Advise, re: Passport and Travel with 15 y/o child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CSAngel View Post
    Once you have a passport for the children do you need the ex's permission to get the Nexxus card?
    I didn't have to answer any questions on the application about custody. Just apply online. Wait. Book interview appointment. Go to interview, scan retinas, provide fingerprints. Wait for Nexus card in the mail.

By the way - to use Nexus, everyone in your party must be a Nexus member, or you can't use the Nexus line. Ie. get one for yourself at the same time too.

Comment

No questions re: Custody on the nexus app? There's definitely questions on the passport app.

Yes, I have sole custody, but there is a clause that stipulates I am not to change his last name.

So the nexus card can be used *instead* of a passport between Canada and the US? Thanks for all the great info links on this thread.
      Last edited by hadenough; 05-28-2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
        No questions re: Custody on the nexus app? There's definitely questions on the passport app.

Yes, I have sole custody.

So the nexus card can be used instead of a passport between Canada and the US? Thanks for all the great info links on this thread.
        Not that I recall. Maybe it's because they can access that info through the passport system....? Maybe there's different questions for different aged children? My S was 14 when he got his.

Yes - the card and/or your retina scan (at airports) are used in place of a passport between or within Canada and the USA. (I use mine when flying from one airport to another within Canada too.)

Comment

So the nexus card can be used *instead* of a passport between Canada and the US? Thanks for all the great info links on this thread.
          Yes - the card and/or your retina scan (at airports) are used in place of a passport between or within Canada and the USA. (I use mine when flying from one airport to another within Canada too.)
          That is correct information if you are proving citizenship (not permanent residency in either country) driving/boating through a border but not for air travel into Canada. You are still required to carry secondary documentation.

(By the way, when driving through the border, bring a copy of your sole custody order...because they can ask about that.)

Can NEXUS cards be used as proof of identification and to denote citizenship in non-NEXUS lanes when entering Canada?

Yes. NEXUS cards are now accepted as proof of identification and to denote citizenship when entering Canada at all land and marine ports of entry. This means that Canadian or U.S. citizens who are NEXUS members may use their membership card when entering Canada by boat or by land when using non-NEXUS lanes.
          NEXUS members who are permanent residents of Canada or the U.S. are still required to travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be requested to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.
          Please note that the use of the NEXUS card as proof of identification and to denote citizenship does not apply when entering Canada by air.
          NEXUS members who choose to use their NEXUS card in a non-NEXUS lane will be processed as a regular traveller and will not receive the benefit of expedited entry.

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Comment

lol. I was just about to post that PH...glad you caught it though.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
              In light of the US father that kidnapped his son and brought him to Canada, expect scrutiny on people travelling with kids, without the other parent
              Could you please share the link to the news article if you have it?

Is this the one you are referencing?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/colorado-ma...ry?id=19261307

Thanks!

Good Luck!
              Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X