X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sad and True story re: Autism

'Brutal decision': Couple gives up son with autism to government

Oink no parent plans to have a kid with Autism, and those that do discover that they can be more than anyone bargained for. I don't think a parenting license would screen for that.

I have a friend with an autistic child. They are able to manage, but they have received some government support, as well as private support. I have a work collegue who moved to BC because the support for autisitic kids was better there.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
      I agree

My previous post on this matter deals not only with Autism, if you've read them. This is just one small entity in the bigger scheme of things

On a different note, I continue to see irresponsible parents smoking whilst pushing their kids in strollers or in a car with them

I also see a lot of pregnant women smoking, most recently yesterday
      I had a sister in law who did, despite being told by many that it was a bad thing. Denial, its not just a river in Africa.

Comment

On pregnant women smoking:

Addiction is a powerful thing. Just because they know it is harmful to the baby, doesn't make it physically easier to quit than it would be if they weren't pregnant. While we would all hope this greater incentive gives them the impetus they need, the reality may be far different. Some of them even may try to quit, and find withdrawal so painful they believe that the vague consequences of smoking would be less than those of the stress that quitting would put on their body.

The consequences of drinking alcohol while pregnant are potentially even worse, and that still doesn't stop women from doing it.

As for the original topic, parenting a severely disabled child is very stressful, and it is true that government support decreases significantly once the adult child leaves school, just as the parents are slowing down and starting to worry about what will happen to their child when they themselves age and become unable to care for them.

However, based on how the cameras and reporter were following the dropping off of the child, instead of following the story after it had happened, this particular incident strikes me as staged for the purpose of publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
          On pregnant women smoking:

Addiction is a powerful thing. Just because they know it is harmful to the baby, doesn't make it physically easier to quit than it would be if they weren't pregnant. While we would all hope this greater incentive gives them the impetus they need, the reality may be far different. Some of them even may try to quit, and find withdrawal so painful they believe that the vague consequences of smoking would be less than those of the stress that quitting would put on their body.

The consequences of drinking alcohol while pregnant are potentially even worse, and that still doesn't stop women from doing it.
          It is one thing to be addicted, admit your addiction, and try as best you can to mitigate the impact.

It is another to deny decades of science and common sense because you are addicted, and counter claim that you don't see any harm in it.

My mother stopped smoking when she found out she was pregnant with me, in 1961. So there has been evidence for some time, and further evidence in study after study since.
          Last edited by Mess; 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM. Reason: to fix quote

Comment

As for the original topic, parenting a severely disabled child is very stressful, and it is true that government support decreases significantly once the adult child leaves school, just as the parents are slowing down and starting to worry about what will happen to their child when they themselves age and become unable to care for them.
            Rioe is dead on about this. What those not in this situation may not realize that unless you are in a severe crisis, the waiting list to try to have an adult child go to a group home with 24 hour supervision is many many years long. Unless you are in or close to the situation, it is very difficult to judge.

However, based on how the cameras and reporter were following the dropping off of the child, instead of following the story after it had happened, this particular incident strikes me as staged for the purpose of publicity.
            I agree this is very sketchy. It did however, provide the attention that may have been needed. Perhaps governing bodies will hear the cry more clearly now and recognize that there needs to be changes...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X