X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive Legal Fees.. BC Woman talks to CBC's "go public"

B.C. woman may lose home over huge lawyer bill - Canada - CBC News

180k for a 21 day trial is not unreasonable, and apparently half of that amount is interest.

I guess the main message here is to keep control of your own case, realize what the costs are, how realistic the outcomes are going to be, and what you can live with. Know when to cut your losses and settle.

If this woman didn't think it would work out this way, that's her mistake. Short of a millionaire, anyone would declare bankruptcy in the face of $100k+ in legal costs. Now she will have to do the same.

Every day when she showed up for court she was giving her consent for the legal bills to sky rocket rather than settling. I hope we can find the case law for this on Canlii and see the details of how it ended up this way.

Comment

Got it:

CanLII - 2010 BCCA 226 (CanLII)

Comment

When I left my previous law firm because I was unable to pay the bill, they were so accommodating and are allowing me to make very small monthly payments with no interest charged. Now this is a bill that is under $3,000 so it likely isn't worth fighting over for them, but I still feel it was a kind offer as I have every intention of paying each month.

Comment

Thx for pulling up the Decision FFF and great SadAndTired that your lawyers were willing to work with you with respect to the expenses incurred.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
            Thx for pulling up the Decision FFF and great SadAndTired that your lawyers were willing to work with you with respect to the expenses incurred.
            Thanks Had. It was great. I didn't expect them to offer no interest if I went to a monthly payment plan. I wish I could have stayed with them but they were a big firm with big hourly rates. LOL.

Comment

Big mistake not to oppose discharge of the ex. It also would make sense for court to make ex own those monies to the lawyer when cost against him made)

Comment

WD: I'm not sure why she didn't file Notice of Opposition. Hey, perhaps GoPublic would be interested in your dealings with LAO "wings" :/

Comment

She agreed to it and let it all happen. I blame her for her predicament.

However, 18% interest?? That is immoral to ask for. Was the ex ordered to pay the interest too? If so, then that is probably why she agreed to that ridiculous rate - she though her ex would get stuck with the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
                    She agreed to it and let it all happen. I blame her for her predicament.
                    did you read case?
                    The problem here that she won and other party should cover cost according to court order. But other party decided to use bankruptcy court
                    as a "cleaning house" (same as one we all know trying to do) It also should be done it the way that other side should stuck with owning to the lawyer and let him to deal with it

However, 18% interest?? That is immoral to ask for. Was the ex ordered to pay the interest too? If so, then that is probably why she agreed to that ridiculous rate - she though her ex would get stuck with the bill.
                    It easy now to ask all those questions. We do not know what exactly her lawyer told her and did she has any other choice.

As for immoral about 18% - what interested do you have on your credit card? )

Comment

Yes, there are people out there abusing the BIA and enjoying the advantages of this Country's lax Legislation. The Bankruptcy process indeed invites some individuals to use it as a clearing house.

Convenient...

Comment

Originally Posted by billm
                        "She agreed to it and let it all happen. I blame her for her predicament."

^ very nice ^

And..
                        "If so, then that is probably why she agreed to that ridiculous rate - she though her ex would get stuck with the bill."

^ Jeepers, what an incredibly ignorant ASSumption ^
                        Last edited by hadenough; 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                          Yes, there are people out there abusing the BIA and enjoying the advantages of this Country's lax Legislation. The Bankruptcy process indeed invites some individuals to use it as a clearing house.

Convenient...
                          Here is one quote from bankruptcy court decision regarding discharge

“4. The bankruptcy courts should not be converted into a sort of
                          clearing-house for the liquidation of debts irrespective of the
                          circumstances under which they were created . . .
                          wd

Comment

My law firm was also very flexible with regards to payment. They got a lot of money up front but when I ran out of credit they were willing to continue to work on my case for whatever I could pay them ($100/month most times). Eventually they did sign an agreement with me to put a lien on the moneys coming from the matrimonial home being sold since it was taking a long time to have it released. The interest on my bill was low, around 1.25%.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
                              The problem here that she won and other party should cover cost according to court order. But other party decided to use bankruptcy court
                              as a "cleaning house" (same as one we all know trying to do) It also should be done it the way that other side should stuck with owning to the lawyer and let him to deal with it
                              I realize this, but buyer beware. Perhaps she didn't understand the bankruptcy rules to understand that if she won the case we would still be responsible for the fees. Her lawyer should have explained that to her.

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
                              It easy now to ask all those questions. We do not know what exactly her lawyer told her and did she has any other choice.

As for immoral about 18% - what interested do you have on your credit card? )
                              About 6% I believe. My business CC is about 18%, so I never carry a balance on it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X