Child tax benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child tax benefit

Who should the Child Tax Benefit go to in a shared , 50/50 situation? Should it be split? How?
    If CRA gives it to one parent only, should it be taken into account in the C/S calculation?

It should be shared/split in some fashion in a 50/50 situation. The method would depend on how many kids you have. You could each claim one, or if only one child qualifies, you have to alternate years. You have to have the perfect wording in your agreement for CRA to divide it properly though, otherwise they just give it to the net recipient of the offset CS. It helps if you have a cooperative ex.

Comment

Lookup "shared eligibility" for the Canada Child tax benefit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...you-apply.html

CRA doesn't alternate years between the parents anymore, in such a situation. Each parent just gets 50% of the amount.

Be prepared for CRA to deny you, because they will pick apart the wording of your court order/agreement, to disqualify you. If your order/agreement says you pay child support at all, forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
        If your order/agreement says you pay child support at all, forget it.
        I do not agree on that point. I pay CS and received 50% of CBT. You are correct that wording needs to be very clear and your supporting docs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Asphenaz View Post
          I do not agree on that point. I pay CS and received 50% of CBT. You are correct that wording needs to be very clear and your supporting docs as well.

Your order/agreement must state that you *both* pay child support then. Or, you just lucked out otherwise.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X