This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alimony on EI

I have recently been put on EI and am in the midst of applying for legal aid. My simple question is, do I have to pay alimony if I am on EI? The doctor may put me on medical EI as well, is there a difference between the two?

Thanks

Whether you are working, on EI, disability or any other form of assistance, you are required to pay spousal support as per your agreement until your agreement says otherwise. You'll have to file a motion to have it changed. It's not recommended to just stop paying otherwise you'll be in arrears and end up having to pay it at some point anyways.

Comment

There hasn't been anything motioned yet, we are still going to court at the moment.

Comment

You don't have an agreement at all?

Comment

Nothing yet, her lawyer has been going after for 1500 a month, based on an income I made 3 years ago. We still keep going to hearings. I have been through some medical procedures as of late and my doctor warned me continuing with the job I have will worsen it.

Comment

Oh...well if you haven't been ordered to pay spousal support then you don't have to, EI or not.

Comment

I Understand at the moment I am not obligated . The original question was, would they still order me to, if I am on EI.

Comment

That's a more difficult question to answer. Likely depends on the financial situations of both spouses.

Comment

SS depends on your ability to pay. Being on EI, your ability to pay is nominal, so hard to see how SS could be ordered.

Comment

Make sure you get an affidavit from your doctor, don't depend on stating this casually and having anyone listen to you.

Comment

get a letter from your doctor stating why you are going on EI plus any other documents to support it and then put together an affidavit on what is now happening and that you wont be making the amount you once did, get it in the court file

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X