This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duration for recourse question

I lived with my partner for ten years and left the relationship - my patrner refused to share any of the assets we had accumulated while together , changed the locks and prohibited my taking any of the assets I received as gifts or purchsed while we lived together. While we were together he built a multi-million dollar business where I played a small role as an employee. Towards the end of our relationship he had all of his assets frozen in a legal suit and I went to work separately and funded our day to day living for half a year before he got back on his feet. I left the relationship about a year after he got back on his feet.

When I left the relationship I thought he would let me come back and remove my possessions and some of the assets I had acquired or been given as gifts while we were together. He refused to let me back into our home, which had been registered in his brothers name and threatened to make me a bankrupt if I persued any legal action - so I took my pride and left him with homes, investments, art, jewelry, etc....

Within two years of leaving the relationship we both married. Unfortunately my spouse passed away after a year of marriage. Its now been 5 years since I left the commonlaw relationship and he still refuses to let me have any of my posessions or gifts.

My question is - with the time and cicumstances that have transpired over the past 5 years do I have any recourse to get my posessions back and if so what would I have to do, and do I have calim to anything else from our time together?

longtime,

welcome to the forum.

Statute of limitations applies to unjust enrichment claims. If in Ontario, I believe you had two years from the date of separation to bring forth such claim. However, I would spend an hour with a lawyer to determine the full merits of your case.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X