This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continueing support or not.

My brother-in-law is back in court again with his ex. This time she is going after more money for extra-ordinary expenses.
    We have recently found out that his oldest son (19yrs.) is no longer living at home and is attending a college. Our question is to whether or not he is a full-time student. I seem to remeber that you had to be in school for at leats 28 hours a week in order to be classified as a full-time student. His course only requires a 20 hour school week. Does this make him a part-time student and therefore not eligable for any more support payments?

No. Full-time isn't any specific # of hours, but really a measure of how hard / quickly a student is working towards their degree. If full-time at his school is 20 hours of class, and he's taking 20 hours of class, that would be full time for child support purposes. Even if he were taking slightly less than the 20 hours, he'd probably be considered full-time for child support purposes.
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

20 hours of class time at the college/university level is quite a lot. You need to factor in the extra hours of studying & assignments.

A portion of my daughters university expenses, tuition, dorm, books, food are covered under Section 7 expenses, above tabled child support.

The greatest gift you can give a child is an education.

Comment

In the United States the status of full time and part time depends upon credit hours and would not be equal to 20 hours. Just wondering if it might be something similar here. Because I know at our universities the most hours you can be in calss is like 16 per week. Of course then you have to study for tests, do projects and reading etc.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X