This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of Change

In a couple of days I will be representing myself. Now that I have a custody agreement, it seems expensive for me to have my lawyer recieve letters from the other lawyer.

What is the best way to respond to letters?
    1.) Fax a copy ( and me keep proof that fax was recieved on other end)
    2.) Email ( though no guarantee that other person actually recieves email)
    3.) Regular Canada Post

Another question..

Is it normal for legal aid to still keep paying for my ex's lawyer even though custody and access arrangements have been worked out? Should I contact legal aid about this as its "technically" my tax dollars hard at work - he doesn't work.

Thanks muchly
    mominont

registered mail, or something like Purolator

Comment

Privateone is reight, you should use a means that requires a signature and printable notice that it was delivered etc.

Regular post does nether of these, we have relied on Registered mail. It is less than $10 per letter and usually arrives within two business days and you can input online for email notification that it was delivered. Then you can print the notification and signature for your files.

Legal aid remains on file similar to any other legal representation until the case has been closed, and in Family law it is never final. If it is inactive for a period of time (not sure of how long) legal aid will send notification to see if further aid is needed etc. They will periodically request updates to make sure the file remains current even if there are no fees being charged to it.
      It works the same way any other lawyer works, except instead of the individual getting the bill, the legal aid office gets it. So a lawyer can remain on the case and tecnically keep it active even if no physical work is being done. This makes things easier and faster should anything change and the lawyer needs to address an issue at a later date. It also eliviates the necessity of the individual having to reapply, they only need to provide up to date financial info at the time of activity on the case.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X