Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting time and work shifts

Hi everyone,

I work night shifts from 11pm to 7 am and the commute is one hour each way. I was told by my company that maybe I will move to afternoon shift from 3pm to 11pm to help with parenting time(I have full custody for now). I think afternoon shift is worst than night shift because I'm not able to spend time with my son at all. My son who is 11 is going to school from 830am to 3pm. School is very close to ours house only 3 minutes away.
    The issue is I couldn't find a nanny or someone to be with my son during the night from 10pm to 8am...I talked to couple of nannies and they asked me to bring my son to their house for sleeping...my son doesn't want...and my soon ex-wife doesn't want to co-operate too...
    I was advised to rent one room for free to a student just to have an adult during the night but I don't know this will be a good idea..
    I can't get day shift from my company and I make good money with good benefits and pension. I can find a lower paying job in my town working day shift but I want to keep the house and pay half of its value to my wife (mortgage is only 80K left)...so, I still need my actual job...
    What should I do ?...thanks for your answers...

Originally posted by Tobias25 View Post
    ...I work night shifts from 11pm to 7 am and the commute is one hour each way. I was told by my company that maybe I will move to afternoon shift from 3pm to 11pm to help with parenting time(I have full custody for now)...

You have an order (interim or otherwise) from a judge, that specifies you have full custody? If so, I wonder what circumstances with the other parent or the family situation would lead to that right now? Curious to what that order outlines. Or, do you have "full custody", by your choosing, as both you and your ex slug through a parenting arrangement?

Originally posted by Tobias25 View Post
    ...and my soon ex-wife doesn't want to co-operate too...

How does she not want to "co-operate"? Your post needs some more information, relevant to both parents situation, if you want some useful info. Right now, it's hard to determine if Mom is precluded from helping out, due to unreasonable demands, either from her, or from you. If you're considering that she should help with this (she can't be a danger or issue, to the child then), then why doesn't she want to help out, with having parenting time overnight, with the kid?
    Last edited by dad2bandm; 01-28-2020, 02:42 PM. Reason: Finished my thought

Comment

What would you do if your ex wasn’t around? As a sole custody parent you are responsible for the child. Sometimes that means changing jobs, taking a pay cut and arranging your life around your child. The other option is, allow your ex to have majority of access since you are unavailable to care for the child when they are out of school. You really don’t have a lot of options and none that anyone here can really help you with. Can’t force your ex to take the child overnight, while you maintain custody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X