This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Settlement Conference?

So I have been reading posts and just recently I got an OCL report in my favour but the Ex does not want to comply with it.

He's sending me agreements with a fraction of the access recommended with other clauses that sound like I'm agreeing to that access indefinitly or until trial and then not allowing anything but supervised access because I didn't sign it. After he started sending him unsupervised on verbal agreement.

Well my lawyer is having serious health issues and cant do a motion now.

But I'm also reading I should try all efforts yo settle before bring the motion, plus I need to save $1500 for anew lawyer down payment.

I am comfortable doing a settlement conf on my own. We already had one in October 2011 but so much has changed plus I have the OCL report.

I think my ex is just not facing the facts and maybe this will help him see that it is very likely he will lose at trial and a motion for access if I must take him all of which are very costly.

Can I ask for a second settlement conference?
    Last edited by macdonaldgal; 06-13-2012, 06:15 PM. Reason: typos

I have heard of the court offering a second settlement conference in some instances, so it is possible. Try contacting the trial co-ordinator for your case and see what they suggest.

If you are looking for the Forms you need check here:

Family Law Rules Forms — Ontario Court Services

Comment

I had 2 SC, but it was the Conference Judge who put the idea forward...

Comment

I'm going on my fourth. Had two, then a settlement conference. Went to court on a motion, and the judge sent us back for another conference. Didn't settle financials, so we're going back in September. I'm getting quite frustrated.

As for having the OCL report, keep in mind that these judges try to have you settle. We went in with the OCL report AND the children's lawyer was there. Both my attorney and the children's attorney were telling the judge that I must have sole custody. The judge kept trying to talk them into "shared" parenting and changing the wording to include the father. Both lawyers insisted that there should be no other wording other than "sole" to me. In the end, I did get sole, but that was while we tried to settle before going into another conference. The judge didn't at all influence my ex to sign. If it had been up to her, we'd have settled on joint or shared custody, despite what the children's lawyer was saying.

Comment

interesting. Well I think my ex is never never land. I've been self rep's since this started last June and he's been paying for a lawyer and looks to me like he wants to fight til the end.

I just hope a judge at a conference will help him see the reality of the situation, he hasn't budged at all towards even considering what the OCL recommended which was pretty reg access for me and actually nmore than before! So I think he's pissed and his lawyer is prolly not discouraging him from fighting it out, regardless of the outcome.

I sent him an offer to settle made up on my own with the OCL recommendations. I am going to call the trial co-ordinator and or go to the court house and ask for a settlement conf.

I am trying to avoid losing motion for access by trying EVERYTHING to settle.

He would have got more flexibility with me if he wouldn't have taken this ridiculous position. Now I just wants the OCL recommendations and costs if I have to do it on motion.

I think if he gets stuck with costs it may encourage him to settle as well. We have trial scheduled in September an I will need a lawyer for that so I'd rather not if I can save the $

There was allot of emails trying to negotiate between me, his lawyer and him and since the Offer was sent. Silence.

It's kinda nice. He was being so unreasonable! Any more ideas or am I on the right track towards a motion for access as OCL recommends?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X