Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try mediation for the issue. Communication is key, and that's a good forum for it. Hopefully in mediation she will gain some understanding about your position on the issue, and you will have options to try and alleviate her fears.

If all else fails, make sure to falsely report her to CAS so she loses the kids and you get them by default. It won't really matter if the allegations are true or not, her life will be over. By the time the investigation finishes you will have 6 month status quo and she'll have to fight for years just to see her kids at all.

No, I'm not serious (AT ALL) just giving an example of tactics I am seeing used to trump custody situations.

Down with CAS!

Comment

Agreed with Rioe, brilliant. Protect yourself on paper but live your lives in the real world and be flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by confused1999 View Post
        Hi Tayken:

Thanks so much for your input.

To clarify, I haven't yet signed the SA yet. I liked the fact that you seemed to feel confident that if both parents are "good" parents the courts won't discriminate against males automatically and should award 50/50.

I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth but it looks like in the past many men were screwed over in not getting 50 50 merely because of their sex which I suspect you'll concur with. In your opinion are MOST courts now of the opinion 50 50 is a default barring a poor parent or are some judges still "old school" and don't believe men should have equal access to their kids; merely that they should "bankroll" them only ?

It seems to me that the prejudice of the individual judge is what dictates the results.

Thanks !
        I agree with Rioe as well.
        Last edited by Teddie; 11-15-2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Mediation is voluntary. Mom who wants dad out will avoid or delay any discussion in order to build status quo to minimize access. So how do we get it to 50/50 from zero?

I hear that WinterWolf might not like CAS. I do not feel that false allegations are a good advice even as a joke. BTW from what I heard on this forum falsely reporting a parent does not tend to benefit dads at all. Despite the success this technique often has for mothers.

So lets be constructive here. All workable ideas welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
            Write 50-50 into the agreement you sign now, and have a verbal agreement to get to that point slowly.

Unless you are high conflict, you don't have to stick to the agreement you sign, exactly. You can just put it in the safe deposit box and do your own thing, only bringing it out in the case of disagreement.

If you want 50-50, I would not sign anything that says otherwise.

Has anyone mentioned right of first refusal to you? Look it up for the full details, but basically it means that if one of you can't look after the kids personally on your own time, you will go first to the other parent before seeking third party care.

So maybe you can have the kids one week, your ex has them the next, for 50-50 time as the official access, but even on your weeks, they go to her home after school and you pick them up when you get off work. So technically she has more time with them, where they are probably used to being after school, so they have the transition stability she is seeking, but any time you take the day off, it's still your time to be with them. And at their ages, soon enough they will be able to go from school to your house and hang out by themselves until you get home from work. And you don't have to fight your ex for this, as it's the base agreement.

As for why she would be arguing against 50-50 after consulting with her lawyer, that's your answer right there. The lawyer has convinced her of it, most likely because the more you argue over stuff, the longer you have to pay the lawyers.

This is also an easy way to see if it's really about the money. You may think it's not, but honestly, who doesn't want more money? It may be motivating her unconsciously. So if 50-50 is the written access, you'll be using offset payments right from the start, even if you verbally agree to her having more time with them. If she keeps arguing, money probably is a factor.

But I think a right of first refusal may solve a lot of your problems.
            Agree 100%!

Comment

I would suggest that a transition be incorporated into the SA with an agreed upon goal of 50/50 by both parties. Perhaps wording stating that any "status quo" during the transition phase is without prejudice would suffice.

Who knows. I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by FamilyBlah View Post
                I would suggest that a transition be incorporated into the SA with an agreed upon goal of 50/50 by both parties. Perhaps wording stating that any "status quo" during the transition phase is without prejudice would suffice.

Who knows. I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV.
                Without prejudice is good enough to state in the agreement. You can identify each clause that is without prejudice or just mark the whole agreement as such.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X