Increase in costs of Family Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase in costs of Family Benefits

Question regarding Family health benefits . Please let me know if I am unreasonable or perhaps missing something .

When we signed our separation agreement 7 years ago I agreed to cover the costs of the extended Family health care benefits ( since I already had " family coverage ").

Since then my share of the costs have gone up dramatically. I now pay almost $1000 more per year than I used to in order to have coverage for the children .

My ex has the ability to have extended coverage thru her work as well but only takes " single " coverage because I cover the kids anyways .

We are 50/50 with a 1 week on 1 week off schedule . I also pay offset CS . The difference in our salaries is I make about 20 % more than she does .

Is this worth renegotiating ?

I am positive that the " balanced households ' as far as money goes has tilted a lot more in the other direction .

how old are the kids who are covered?

Comment

Does your agreement not specify that both of you will carry the children on health benefits if eligible?

How much would your cost of expenses be per year versus paying the $1000?

If it works out cheaper then you could simply give up the extra benefits (if your agreement doesnt specify you carry them) and then you can split them according to s7.

Comment

IMO you should both have health benefits, if available, or if one pays but not the other the cost should be split as a section 7 expense. But, what’s done is done. Now that you’ve got a separation agreement the real question is, is $1000 a year worth it to you? Will updating your separation agreement cost you more than $1000? That depends on your ex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You agreed to pay. You didn't agree to pay "as long as it doesn't go up by too much, "too much" being defined by me".

General rule of family law: Never offer to pay for anything. You will be forced to pay the stuff you are forced to pay no matter what, so there is no benefit to paying extra.

The fair thing here is to treat the extended health as an S7 expense and split it proportionally. However, you agreed to an unfair split of this, and I think that's what you're stuck with.

Comment

Thank you to all for the replies. Lessons learned .

Comment

Increase in costs of Family Benefits

I have a weird situation with the benefits. When we signed our agreement the benefits were of not cost to me through employment. Unfortunately the lawyer uses “mother is to maintain” wording.

Dad agreed in texts and emails when I changed jobs that he would pay half. He continued to do so until he moved away. Now he refuses.

I started a new job because my old one shut down. And it took me a year to get the kids benefits at the new job.

Will this work in court to now have it awarded to me in an order to get half again?

The cost for the next 15 years is $21600.00. I don’t think it’s fair I pay for it all. Dad has no benefits available to him.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Mom 2 Two; 10-21-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X