Writing Court Briefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Court Briefs

Just a burning question I had and apologize if there already exists a thread on the topic.

When writing court briefs, do you refer to yourself and other side in the 1st or 3rd person? Or refer to yourself as the “Applicant” and other side as the “Respondent”?

Originally posted by LovingDad1234 View Post
    Just a burning question I had and apologize if there already exists a thread on the topic.

When writing court briefs, do you refer to yourself and other side in the 1st or 3rd person? Or refer to yourself as the “Applicant” and other side as the “Respondent”?
    I believe you will have to refer in your Brief as the Applicant and the Respondent.
    In affidavits you refer yourself as 1st person.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

I tend to say 'Applicant Wife' or 'Respondent Husband' (or mother/father).

Applicant/Respondent is generic, and when Judges read 20 briefs a day, it can be easy to confuse who is who.

Comment

In my husband’s briefs, they always said “I” in his statements except for one where it was signed only by his lawyer. It might have been because of the brief.

I agree with Kinso and also add that if your statements are brief and factual and only relate to relevant info then it helps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
          I tend to say 'Applicant Wife' or 'Respondent Husband' (or mother/father).

Applicant/Respondent is generic, and when Judges read 20 briefs a day, it can be easy to confuse who is who.
          I now recommend people avoid gender identifying roles these days. Its hard to do but, can be done.

Briefs should be BRIEF! I have seen too many 10+ page briefs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
            Briefs should be BRIEF! I have seen too many 10+ page briefs.
            It is tough to be brief when you need to attached your Offer to Settle, and any supporting documentation as appendices.

Comment

Originally posted by LovingDad1234 View Post
              It is tough to be brief when you need to attached your Offer to Settle, and any supporting documentation as appendices.

You can be brief in the brief part of it. The attachments arent the brief. And your offer to settle can be brief too. When you stick to the facts you use only the words you need.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X