No announcement yet.

Spousal Support Buy Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually my husband didn't give and take. He just gave lol. Seriously. He also pays the high range of SS. And no he didn't cheat. Mom does live with their maid of honours husband though - and has since date of separation lol.

Links' opinion is irrelevant and moot. It IS a done deal. And one we honour without complaint. And no Links you do not have an academic opinion unless you can show me your peer reviewed academic publication to go with it.

You know, it is beyond me how we come to this very moment in time - dad honoured his marriage even when it fell apart. He didn't want to give her "just enough" or the bare minimum. He can afford to pay her more than many and he decided to do just that. And people are finding fault in this? When we agree to this without any court intervention it's wrong? Come on. This is HC at its finest!

And to clarify, I did not say women who receive spousal are money hungry bitches. I said NOT EVERY woman is a money hungry bitch.

Comment

No Links - MY HUSBAND deemed what was reasonable.

And we didn't want an "arsenal"

He left with nothing. Seriously. And he has never complained. He worked hard and has a lovely home now, is remarried and is successful - professionally, financially and morally. I have the utmost respect for him for this.

And you are becoming more and more irrelevant with every post.

Comment

I win,
        *High Range
        *Full Length of Time
        *No option for re-assessment.

^ BAD DEAL!
        _______

All my point is that on a purely business basis is that it was a bad deal, all other factors are subjective.

Like I said, whatever floats your husband's boat but considering the guy goes to work for his money and could have been leasing a porsche but would prefer paying his "cheating" ex spousal. Kudos to him i guess (NOT!) or he could have stayed home and chilled instead of working and your husband doesnt have to worry about his ex-wife the judges are more than happy to keep ex-wives paid.

I'm entitled to my irrelevant opinion - just a reminder to people settling doesn't mean giving in!

Comment

A porsche doesn't hold five kids and a dog!

Settling does NOT mean giving in. It means coming to an agreement. There was no giving in - he offered and she accepted. This is a distinction without a difference.

And no Links YOU did NOT win - we don't write our cheques to you (insert wink here). Please forward me your academic support - I'd really be interested in ripping that apart lol

Comment

It sounds like Serene's husband made the best decision for him. Not everything comes down to "how little money can I be forced to give the other party?". Sometimes other things are more important.

Comment

I think it is fair to say that most people who know how to build and maintain wealth settle their divorces out of court. (No I don't have statistics on this rather this is a personal observation of wealthy people I have known over the years). I don't think I would categorize any of the men as losers because they didn't go to court and fight their wives - quite the contrary.

Comment

I wouldn't say he was wealthy when he divorced.

Comment

A porsche doesn't hold five kids and a dog!
                  A Cayenne will hold 3, the other 2 you don't need and the dog can stay home!
                  And the porsche is not for the family anyways, I was talking a 911 or cayman maybe. Anyways, I'm happy he is happy to pay his ex.

Spousal Support within Divorce Law is a completely financial consideration. It is basically about how much does this person deserve.

Settling on the basis of any other factor is ok but not "principled". I understand the emotional stress etc... but giving into that is weakness and giving into it to the point you'd rather surrender than work out a compromise...

Capitulating in Serene's husband's case - is egregious.

Yes, settling like what the other guy on the 330k house price issue is doing is fair. Settling at a compromise number between the high value your spouse will likely get and the low value is a compromise.

Capitulating.... meh.

I think it is fair to say that most people who know how to build and maintain wealth settle their divorces out of court. (No I don't have statistics on this rather this is a personal observation of wealthy people I have known over the years). I don't think I would categorize any of the men as losers because they didn't go to court and fight their wives - quite the contrary.
                  It isn't the absence of going to court - it is the accepting the worst possible scenario given the situation.

Business(wo)men settle at fair values and negotiate out compromises, losers capitulate.

Going to court is for fools, liars, the deluded OR the people confronting those people (generally).

Comment

Hey Links - I thought you were heading to the Quebec Court of Appeal? So what does that make you?

A. Deluded
                    B. Confrontational
                    C. All of the above?

Just sayin... ha ha

Comment

I pick C!!!!

Comment

Back to your original post Serene... I wish my ex were to offer me a lump sum but doubt he is in a position to do that. If he has any large stash of cash anywhere I'm sure his g/f has her name on it.

Your perspective is interesting to me. I never talk to my ex's g/f. I do know that the g/f, according to my ex, was never successful in getting any SS out of her husband (after a 28 yr marriage). I often wonder if that's part of their scam though as my ex is still friends with g/f's ex (he was a former employee). For all I know my ex's g/f is still married to the fellow. If there is an angle (tax, welfare or WCB fraud, etc.) then I'm sure she found it. She is very resourceful.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                          Hey Links - I thought you were heading to the Quebec Court of Appeal? So what does that make you?

A. Deluded
                          B. Confrontational
                          C. All of the above?

Just sayin... ha ha
                          I am and, I filed my exposition this last week - May 27th is the date of hearing.

I added (generally) so no its not always the case - besides I'm not appealing the entire decision just a couple of points like paying her PRE-MARITAL loans, some miscalculation error and the transition to shared custody.

We'll see how crazy I am post appeal.

Comment

List of Cases | Superior Court of Justice

This is a website that most ontario lawyers and judges use for case law in their decisions.
                            There is some case law for lump sum payments. I didn't read it but have a look.
                            I am self representing in my divorce and I have been very successful but I have had to educate myself very throughly in case law. Make sure you read it and understand it before relying on it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X