Faxing Opposing Counsel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faxing Opposing Counsel

When I took my affidavit to the courthouse for attestation, the clerk told me that you can't fax more than a certain number of pages to opposing counsel without prior permission from the person receiving the fax.

Now, I can not remember the number of pages she told me, and I can't seem to find reference to it anywhere.

Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how many pages am I allowed to fax without permission?

Thanks,

I remember reading something like that also. I will see if I can find out.

Comment

use the search feature on this site. Took me two seconds using only three words.

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums - View Single Post - Pages in a 14B

Comment

I'm filing a 14A, not a 14B

Comment

Family Law Rules 6. Service of Documents

MAXIMUM LENGTH OF DOCUMENT THAT MAY BE FAXED
          <!-- TRANSIT - HYPERLINK --><!-- .tribunaux judiciaires (Loi sur les) - Règl. de l'Ont. 114/99. -->(13) Service of a document or documents relating to a single step in a case may be carried out by fax only if the total number of pages (including any cover page or back sheet) is not more than 16, unless the parties consent in advance or the court orders otherwise. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (13).
          Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Comment

Edit: Mess beat me to it :-)

@ Ms Mom....

the clerk told me that you can't fax more than a certain number of pages to opposing counsel without prior permission from the person receiving the fax.
            This is correct
            I can not remember the number of pages she told me, and I can't seem to find reference to it anywhere.
            16 pages in total including cover page and back sheet

Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how many pages am I allowed to fax without permission?
            Girl you know it's true, you are allowed 16 pages as mentioned above

INFORMATION TO BE INCLUDED WITH DOCUMENT SERVED BY FAX

(12) A document that is served by fax shall show, on its first page,
            (a) the sender’s name, address, telephone number and fax number;
            (b) the name of the person or lawyer to be served;
            (c) the date and time of the fax;
            (d) the total number of pages faxed; and
            (e) the name and telephone number of a person to contact in case of transmission difficulties. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (12).
            DOCUMENTS THAT MAY NOT BE FAXED

(14) A trial record, appeal record, factum or book of authorities may not be served by fax at any time unless the person to be served consents in advance. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (14).

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
              I'm filing a 14A, not a 14B
              if you would have actually read what I posted and went to the link that someone else in that thread posted you would have seen the rules for documents. It was even spelled out as rule 6.

Comment

Sidelines -

Someone put vinegar in your coffee this morning instead of milk?

If you read the link you posted - it says 14B and I'm filing 14A. I have since read the rules and the reality is it has nothing to do with the affidavit, or any specific form, it's a general rule. I was lead to believe at the courthouse that it was specific to affidavits and not part of the Formal Rule of the court. Otherwise, why wouldn't the clerk just tell me that it's Rule 6 and be done with it?

But, you got your dig in Sidelines, so I'm sure you feel better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                  Sidelines -

Someone put vinegar in your coffee this morning instead of milk?

If you read the link you posted - it says 14B and I'm filing 14A. I have since read the rules and the reality is it has nothing to do with the affidavit, or any specific form, it's a general rule. I was lead to believe at the courthouse that it was specific to affidavits and not part of the Formal Rule of the court. Otherwise, why wouldn't the clerk just tell me that it's Rule 6 and be done with it?

But, you got your dig in Sidelines, so I'm sure you feel better for it.
                  Its spelled out in black and white. It says documents (not specific documents) so that covers your document.

It wasn't a dig, it was just showing you how you could of found out the information yourself just by using the handy dandy search feature. I used just three words to get your answer.

oh by the way your welcome.

Comment

You can seek their permission to fax more than 16 pages and should get it in writing. And it does not matter which document, unless you have sought and received consent it is max 16 pages.

Comment

In the past, I've emailed before faxing to get their permission. When I go to file it at the court house, I take a copy of the e mail where they have given me permission.

Comment

I was told by a lawyer that you are allowed to fax more than 16 pages after business hours. I don't know from experience if this is true, but it wouldn't hurt to e-mail opposing counsel to see if they would accept more than 16 pages via fax during/after hours of business.

Worst case scenario, they would tell you no , and then you would have to hire services or find someone.

Comment

I was told by a lawyer that you are allowed to fax more than 16 pages after business hours.
                          That is not what the rules say

Source for faxing of documents "16 pages"

16 pages in total including cover page and back sheet

Quote:
                          <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how many pages am I allowed to fax without permission? </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
                          Girl you know it's true, you are allowed 16 pages as mentioned above

Quote:
                          <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> INFORMATION TO BE INCLUDED WITH DOCUMENT SERVED BY FAX

(12) A document that is served by fax shall show, on its first page,
                          (a) the sender’s name, address, telephone number and fax number;
                          (b) the name of the person or lawyer to be served;
                          (c) the date and time of the fax;
                          (d) the total number of pages faxed; and
                          (e) the name and telephone number of a person to contact in case of transmission difficulties. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (12). </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
                          Quote:
                          <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> DOCUMENTS THAT MAY NOT BE FAXED

(14) A trial record, appeal record, factum or book of authorities may not be served by fax at any time unless the person to be served consents in advance. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (14). </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X