Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A joint account may be immediately accessed by your children. In our family this is intended for use in the time leading up to death (if it were an illness, not an accident) , to cover immediate expenses like a hotel.

A life insurance policy will generally pay out very quickly, intentionally to cover funeral expense. Of course make sure that the children know about the policy, which company, the agent's contact information, etc.

Speaking of a simple estate, it can drag out for two years easily because of CRA. It may take some time cash out some investments, and this can cross the calendar year, meaning that taxes on the estate will have to be paid the following taxation period. It is possible to pay out the body of the estate beforehand, and retain some cash to pay the last tax bill, but oftentimes an executor will want to settle all liabilities first, and pay out when the final tax bill is settled.

Comment

Because my father-in-law died in January 2012, we had to do a personal tax return for 2012, and then do one for 2013. Then there was an estate return, and then a small one after the sale of the house.

We couldn't access his bank accounts, but the bank did pay out any bills we took to them. I know we took them the funeral bill and a hydro bill.

Comment

Thanks to all for this info.

mcdreamy;

There will need to be a grant of probate. My dad owned his condo so we will need the probate to sell. Other than his condo, there really is nothing else to the estate. A small amount of cash in the bank and a Manual Life mortgage he took out on the condo in the last few years. No investments, lira, pension, other than government. Should be simple.

From what I understand from all the posts is;
        1. Apply for probate first. What will this entail? Supply the lawyer with what documents?
        2. Open estate account after probate is granted.
        3. Prepare proposed distribution statement.
        4. File tax return for 2013, year of death.
        Arabian;
        Any suggestion on how to keep the cost down? Lawyer cost and accounting cost?

Comment

You don't need to use a lawyer. I used one because I thought I would get a deal (wrong) and I have to admit I was lazy and after divorce crap I didn't want to have to deal with any legal things at the time.

I found out afterwards that it wouldn't have been a big deal to do it myself.

Do some research (online) about what steps you have to take. Believe me, if you do something incorrectly, CRA will point it out to you. Actually, CRA will likely be able to help you do what you have to do. I'd check out all of the free resources available to you.

Many, many people do not have money to hire lawyers and, like family law, have to do it themselves.

I know I was totally stupid to have hired a lawyer, particularly when it was a simple, straightforward estate that had to be settled.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
            You don't need to use a lawyer. I used one because I thought I would get a deal (wrong) and I have to admit I was lazy and after divorce crap I didn't want to have to deal with any legal things at the time.

I found out afterwards that it wouldn't have been a big deal to do it myself.

Do some research (online) about what steps you have to take. Believe me, if you do something incorrectly, CRA will point it out to you. Actually, CRA will likely be able to help you do what you have to do. I'd check out all of the free resources available to you.

Many, many people do not have money to hire lawyers and, like family law, have to do it themselves.

I know I was totally stupid to have hired a lawyer, particularly when it was a simple, straightforward estate that had to be settled.
            At this point it is a time thing. I work 2 jobs and my brother works out of the country, he is home right now but will leave to go back to work, (he doesn't know when).

I am looking for a "what to expect", before going to the lawyer and accountant.

I understand that the filing/printer fee to apply for a grant of probate is around $400. Add to that the lawyers time, what would then account for the approximate other $2000?

My dad was having an accountant prepare his taxes for him the last 6-7 years. The accountant was charging him under $150/year, what would drive the cost up now that the taxes are filed for the estate?

thanx

Comment

If all he had was basically the condo, I think you and your brother are capable of applying for the Certificate of Appointment yourselves.

The Form 74 is available online (this is in Ontario, correct?).
              Rules of Civil Procedure Forms — Ontario Court Services

You will need to see a notary public/lawyer merely to swear your signatures and your exhibits (the exhibit being the original will); attend at the appropriate court house and file it with the clerk. Leave her with your contact information (email/phone), and they should contact you if they have any issues/questions about your application.

If you are selling the condo, you'll need a lawyer -- perhaps the lawyer you are using on that sale will see you and your brother to swear your signatures. That real estate lawyer will need a copy of the Certificate once you have it in hand to complete the sale.

So save the estate some money, no lawyer, but hire an accountant to do the returns [I hate that part of it!, and that's where it really matters -- calculating the tax]
              Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X