Charging Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging Order

What is a Notice of motion for a charging order and what is it used for?

In your case its probably a lien from his lawyer to ensure they get paid. They are seeking an order from the judge to put a lien against assets for your ex to pay their bill. Most likely because he is a flight risk for payment.

Does it say the value?

Comment

It's a little complicated so I am trying to figure out what is happening without asking my own lawyer and it costing me more money.
      Ex ended up getting another lawyer who is actually helping us settle. The crooked lawyer he had robbed him blind and apparently his bill is a 3rd of the equity left on our home that is my ex's portion. So there is money to cover his invoice. But the new lawyer (she seems nice) told the crooked lawyer that upon settlement she will ensure his outstanding bill gets paid or she will file a motion for charging order. I was wondering if it meant she was going to help my ex dispute this huge bill or if filing this motion would help him in some way. Could that be possible? I would hate to see my ex be taken advantage by yet another lawyer. Like I said this woman lawyer seems genuine but I don't trust any lawyers anymore.

Comment

Then thats what its for. She is filing it on behalf of the other lawyer. You could call the law society to see about it as well.

Wasn’t the lawyer legal aid?

Comment

Which lawyer? He has had 9 of them. When it all began he tried to get legal aid but at the time I guess he had to disclose his assets and we had our home at the time which he was living in. Even though he was unemployed he was denied legal aid. They all took advantage of him because they could tell he was mentally ill. But, the worst was the crook lawyer that was draining his half of the proceeds of the home. He got on the scene after the house had sold and he new there was equity. He was sniffing around like a shark at the time. He first contacted my lawyer saying "I understand there is a house involved that just sold, advise how much it sold for..." Basically he forced himself on the scene and then unbeknownest to my ex he had him deemed mentally incapacitated and then he was ordered a PGT. For the next 4 years he was in cahoots with the PGT dragging his heels and stalling yet still billing for basically no movement in the case. I was essentially divorcing this asshole lawyer because I was negotiating with him. My ex had no say in the matter being ordered a PGT. So where my ex would have settled with me it never was an option because the asshole lawyer was forcing the matter to trial. Sure. It wasn't his money he was spending. The system is really broken. Even my own lawyer called this lawyer a crook

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X