Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Job

Hi,

I was just removed ( let go ) from my 8.5 year career this morning. I have been paying cs and ss- to my ex.

What should I be looking into as i know I will not be able to pay her, in coming weeks or until I get new employment.

All help is appreciated

Asked the same question here it is. sorry.
    Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
    Once your income decreases, you file a motion to decrease everything else accordingly. Your job loss is due to plant closure, not because you are deliberately under-employing yourself.

It is a material change of circumstance. You do your best to find as job a job as you can in the mean time as you will be stuck paying the larger sum until a) the ex agrees to reduce c/s and likely s/s (sorry, but I have to LOL to that. I know it is the reasonable thing for your ex to do, but yeah, we all know that isn't going to happen) or b) you get a court order for a reduced amount.

Even if you get a decent job, but still doesn't pay what you used to make, be prepared for the courts to order an imputed income higher than what you actually make. You can argue to make X, and provide evidence to reflect it, but the courts still have leeway to impute another amount.

If your ex was a reasonable person, you could try to mediate this. I'd give her offers to settle based off of your new income, once the new income is in place.

Comment

If you are registered with FRO you should contact them and inform them of your situation.

You would have been given severance package were you not?

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
        If you are registered with FRO you should contact them and inform them of your situation.

You would have been given severance package were you not?

I was not given any written notice or warning--

as per severance, NO -- i was not given one as of yet.

as per FRO-- no I always paid cash

Comment

Lost Job

Search the forums for this topic too.

Get registered with EI. Get looking for work. Try to work with your ex with respect to reducing and getting a motion to change your order. Call your caseworker if youre with a maintenance agency like FRO.

If you have an existing agreement that she can file with FRO--she will more than likely do so. Best to discuss this situation with her and start looking for work and file for EI.

Comment

FRO can be useful in times such as these (making payment arrangements until you can get court order changed). Don't discount registering with them - could buy you some time until you get another job lined up.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X