No announcement yet.

Dad Not Guilty After Taking Away Kid's Phone on His Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom should not have called police, and dad should have given phone back at the end of his parenting time. Both were wrong. Police should never have been involved. What a terrible example to the 12 year old of how to solve a conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungDad23 View Post
      Not surprised there was more to the story.

He definitely should have given the phone back to the mom at the end of the visit and let it go at that.
      I take back what I said - the guy is an ass. The phone was on his cellular plan - it would have taken him 30 seconds or less to cancel the service to that phone. Problem solved.
      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

The daughter was wrong with what she said. The dad was right to punish the child within reason. And reason stopped when he failed to return the phone to the ex months after the fact and ignoring a demand letter to return it.

Mom purchased the phone and it was registered to Dad's cell phone plan. Dad should have taken the phone away, and then gave it back to mom at the end of his parenting time with the statement that he is cancelling that phones service from his plan. That if the child apologizes to him, and to his new spouse, he will reinstate it.

The dad was right to monitor the phone. I know I check my kids text history and I know my ex also does. It is sound parenting in today's day and age. But there is a limit to reason. And for all of this man's efforts to make a point, the point he made is that his new partner and his ego is more important than his relationship with his child.

At some point one must move forward. This man and child (and Ex) haven't learned that yet.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X