DNA testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA testing

I did a search and was surprised I couldn't find info on DNA testing.

I've done some reading on having the test done. I know it can be done at a doctor's office. There are also facilities that will send you a test that you send back and they do the analysis. There is a price difference for a personal test and a legal test. The difference is the paperwork.

Just wondered if anyone has had this done, and if there's a company they would recommend.

We're only interested in the personal test... just for peace of mind. It's not required for court.

tia

I have done it for peace of mind because when I had fights with ex she would say you are not the father.

In Alberta you cant do it at doctors office. I found a lab in the USA that was less than $100 and was even advertised on this forum. The ratings were very high and they are very reliable.

If you want I can look up the company name and drop into your inbox cuz I forgot it.

Comment

Thanks Iceberg. This baby looks just like my son, and we all love her, but he knows there was an incident with the Mom and somebody else close to the date of conception. Mom and baby are involved with CAS, and the worker suggested doing it without Mom knowing. We want her to trust us.

Doctor's office here is about $300.00. But my son is worried the doctor would tell the Mom. I found a couple of companies in Canada, but can't find any ratings on them. I did find a government page that won't name any companies, but said that the readings are often not reliable.

Canadian DNA Services is one I'm considering. Did your test actually spell out the results for you? Or did you have to try and figure out what the readings meant?

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
        Thanks Iceberg. This baby looks just like my son, and we all love her, but he knows there was an incident with the Mom and somebody else close to the date of conception. Mom and baby are involved with CAS, and the worker suggested doing it without Mom knowing. We want her to trust us.

Doctor's office here is about $300.00. But my son is worried the doctor would tell the Mom. I found a couple of companies in Canada, but can't find any ratings on them. I did find a government page that won't name any companies, but said that the readings are often not reliable.

Canadian DNA Services is one I'm considering. Did your test actually spell out the results for you? Or did you have to try and figure out what the readings meant?
        I dont understand how the readings may not be reliable. The chances for a mistake are really low.

Why do you want it to be Canadian? The one I used in US has customers worldwide and uses the latest technology.

Doing test with both parents are more accurate. But even with only one parent the results have to match over 99%. With both parents its 99.9999% minimum.

My test showed that the 16 markers from me all match the child's. The other 16 are mom's. Its really easy to read. I phoned them to be sure and they explained it to me and said even though it can never be 100%, if we were on a murrey show or if the answer had to be more clear and short it would sound like this, Iceberg, you are the father, according to a technician I spoke to. In other words, extremely reliable.

Comment

I never thought to look as U.S. sites. I will do that.

My husband suggested hooking them up with Jerry Springer lol

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X