X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge rules that Canadian-born girls must return to Egypt

I don't think this was posted already:

Judge rules that Canadian-born girls must return to Egypt

Seems Mom thought that Canada would be more friendly to her situation.

Its good when the judges catches you lying about some information because then they have OFFICIAL grounds to throw out EVERY other claim you make...
    I wonder if the reporter contacted the dad to see how he felt about having his kids abducted.
    Last edited by Links17; 01-28-2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

When you read the story in detail, it really makes you shake your head.

In Egypt, MOM's automatically get primary custody.

She had family there.
      Kid's had lived most of their lives in Egypt.
      She had already won, and the kids already had a stable support network.

How arrogant and selfish does one have to be to make such a decision, and expect our country to help enable that?

Comment

Egypt is a failed state and she probably is not getting the type of financial support unemployed divorcees get here (30% of your ex's salary and spousal support for a long time)

"Winning" probably there means the mom keeps the kid and doesnt get paid for it. It is a completely different dynamic. Here, you get kid and the money to pay for it and then some.... If child support ONLY covered the costs of the kid (and even judges know the custodial parent benefits) then that would still be winning.

What about if you get the kids (and the expenses that come with them) and no financial support? Its not winning anymore, its now a proposition with pros and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post

What about if you get the kids (and the expenses that come with them) and no financial support? Its not winning anymore, its now a proposition with pros and cons.
          Not all parents fight for kids cuz of money. It is just "bonus" that comes with it. But no doubt there are some parents usually being on welfare on purpose or are lazy and all they do is look for ways how to get more money from ex.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post

The mom thought the girls will be ordered to stay here because they were born here which made them canadian citizens by default. And I am confused they didnt or at least given rights to get Canadian passport when 18.

Also, Egypt is not really in peace and it could be dangerous for the kids.

But the judge saw she is after the money and the proof is her decision to stay in Canada without the kids.

Im glad she lost the case and her plans to get big money from ex H failed as he is probably rich (Arabic Oil Industry)?

I just hope the father takes them to a safer country as someone said, Egypt is a failed country.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post

I really don't think we have enough information from the news link on this case to make a judgment. Lucky for us, they are in Canlii, search the surname. Forever on the internet for their children to read (why would one aspire to this?).

It looks as though he invoked shari'a law initially, in Egypt. I don't fully understand the difference between shari'a and khula - I suspect it is not pretty for the woman, I wonder what on earth the burden of proof is for abuse in Egypt? Anyone here from that background who can clarify?

As a parent of a young woman, I likely wouldn't send young Canadian female children back to Egypt willingly either, if I knew they would be subject to shari'a law as they matured.
              Last edited by mcdreamy; 01-30-2015, 08:49 PM. Reason: eta: typos
              Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

The islamic divorce marriage system is a bit different.

1. Normally the Man asks the woman to get married he offers HER a dowry which normally is paid upfront or sometimes is paid partially upfront and partially over-time or "later". Women can also ask to marry and take little or symbolic dowry.

2. The marriage relationship in Islam is that the man is officially responsible for the expenses of the family. Depending on the opinion some say a woman has no actual responsibility or obligation to do any house chores. There is a subordination relationship though so technically a woman should obey her husband (with limits) - practically speaking the relationship will actually be based on cultural norms. Any money a woman has or earns is officially her money while the man's money is the "family's" money.

3. For divorce there are I guess 3 ways to get divorced
                a) A man can unilaterally get divorced (like Canada I guess)
                b) A woman can ask for a divorce normally forfeiting or repaying some part of the dowry. Officially the man doesn't HAVE to accept I guess but this is the practice (Khulaa)
                c) Either party (though mostly the woman) can go to Court and get a "at-fault" divorce ; something like pre "no-fault" divorce days. I think in Canada a judge ordering you divorced is actually binding too so a civil divorce ends the islamic marriage too.

3. Divorce is considered permissible thing though not really great.

4. Spousal support is 3 months or something + if the guy files divorce the woman gets to keep her dowry . Apparently, some women get really high amounts of dowry and basically makes it impossible to divorce her for fear of paying tonnes of cash...

5. The basis of custody decisions is best interests of the children and considers the age of the child, if one of the parents is not muslim or would bring up the kids to be "unpracticing"

Women have the right to their own property, don't take the names of their husbands too.

The regulations might not be as "Equal" as today's society but the Islamic "system" is more based on parents specializing in specific roles and with the "authority" a man has comes with the "responsibility" to pay all the expenses.

All aspects of the marriage maybe agreed upon at the signing of the marriage contract so there is the freedom to control the relationship (more flexible than Canadian Family Law).

There you go.... this is all theoretical, there probably isn't a country that fairly implements these things and there are a lot cultural issues etc....
                Last edited by Links17; 01-30-2015, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X