This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been a long time - thought I would say hello

So I thought I would check in following my "non optional break". As bad as the first year got I just want to go on record that I now actually know what a lawyer does for a living based on what this new lawyer has managed in such a short period of time. For the longest time I thought it was all me when it came to getting "this done", and then to find out what really was happening. At least things are getting done on my end - too bad it took a break down to turn things around......

Welcome back! Glad to see things are moving forward for you.

Comment

so how has it been going for you?

Comment

hi there - I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were. So happy to hear things are happening for you!

Comment

Thanks all!! I am still trying to get around the simple fact that following my "again, just not being able to put the pieces together", in this case a lawyer who's peers assessment of why my lawyer elected to not "represent his client" (that would be me!!) and take the fees while just not meeting the requirements of our courts. What I am still getting past is the fact that I had actually gone a few times to the duty council and there just wasn't much interest in "reviewing the work of another lawyer, their colleague in the family law system" while still under retainer. So here I was, couldn't put the pieces together, the no help policy if there is a lawyer under retainer, as they put it, "speak to your lawyer" sort of didn't work in my case naturally!! Couldn't just fire the lawyer as I know I must be represented and I needed some help in figuring out if it was me as the main problem - or the lawyer who had just managed to completely lose a support motion.

So yes I had a breakdown in the courthouse, and our file was reviewed, reactions went from admittance to being plain speechless to appalled at the reprehensible conduct of one of their "friends". So it was off to getting the fee assessment done (didn't get it all but I was told the 30% returned was probably the best that could have been decided in my case).

The alarm bell really rung out loud the day I went to the counter to get the photocopies from the continuing record of the judge's orders that were never fulfilled by the lawyer, never even presented to me by my lawyer - he just ignored it all?? My bell?? When I walked up to the counter to get the copies... she acknowledged me by name and when I said, "hold on I have the case number right...." and she cut me off, "It's ok I know it". How the heck does.... so I asked her and her response:

"Everybody here knows about this file - how screwed up this file is... and more so how screwed over you have been in all this - we hear that changes are happening, we are routing for you -- You will get through this, hang in there." I admit I was taken aback big time and I asked her a few "fill in the blanks" and I maybe for the first time, really understood how deep all this has gotten - I thought they would never "take sides - even in their comments" and she just said that we can see your health is questionable and the last thing you needed was to get screwed as you have and there has been talk about your lawyer and what was happening to you........

Just writing this here brings on the tears - but it brought to light that my inability to put the pieces together as far as a lawyer who I really thought was working for me, not against (I could write a short novel now that I do understand a ton better - but it is my past and I only want to move forward). But I now can see how this was the second time I was taken advantage of and my inability to figure this out as it happened "right under my nose"... this for a lawyer who I still do not understand why he didn't gracefully bow out - the first time was my last three or four years when I was "much sicker than I could fathom back then" and my ex who first made a few very big mistakes -- and would continue by depleting the rest of my separate retirement savings as I couldn't use RRSP's and with so many no income years I will only get a 50% Age 65 CPP pension. This is the struggle I still face in the end - too bad she only left $2.51 (hope the detailed Power of Attorney with our Bank she signed that expressly was stated as to protect my financial interests stands for something in the end....)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X