MEP being used to collect unrelated court costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEP being used to collect unrelated court costs

On Jan 24, through my own fault, I was late for a QB Family Court session dealing with the matrimonial home.

My application was dismissed and the STBX obtained an order that states "$150.00 costs and all other future costs awarded to her are directed to be paid through Alberta Maintenance Enforcement Program".

To me, this is absolute abuse of the MEP program for a Judge to make a blanket order that directs money other than child support to be paid through MEP. I cannot imagine ANY judge ever directing MEP to reduce my child support payment if I was ever awarded costs against STBX.

Has anybody had a similar experience or comments? I am fuming about being directed to pay a non support related payment through MEP.

Originally posted by EdmDad View Post
    On Jan 24, through my own fault, I was late for a QB Family Court session dealing with the matrimonial home.

My application was dismissed and the STBX obtained an order that states "$150.00 costs and all other future costs awarded to her are directed to be paid through Alberta Maintenance Enforcement Program".

To me, this is absolute abuse of the MEP program for a Judge to make a blanket order that directs money other than child support to be paid through MEP. I cannot imagine ANY judge ever directing MEP to reduce my child support payment if I was ever awarded costs against STBX.

Has anybody had a similar experience or comments? I am fuming about being directed to pay a non support related payment through MEP.
    With all due respect you are getting very worked up over $150. That pays for a few minutes of a judges time.

I would pay the money and move on. Life is too short.

Comment

1. It was your fault.
      2. It's only $150.

These are two reasons why you should just pay up. Maybe MEP isn't the ideal collection mechanism, but you do owe the money and you should discharge the debt.

Comment

I've never before heard of MEP being the mechanism through which unrelated court costs are awarded. I think I just feel humiliated.

Comment

I agree. I need to let it go and move on!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X