Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:45 PM

+parenting is on a distinguished road
Default Is he a "child of the marriage"?

I am a strong believer that my children are my children for life. My eldest son is 22 and lives with my ex. He is bipolar and after 3 years of not doing much with his life he has now received a certificate from college and was accepted in University. He has however, broken all ties with me and has been both physically and verbally abusive with me. At what point does the court say he is no longer "my child of the marriage"? Our 2nd son is 16 and lives with me.

If my son behaves respectfully towards me I do not have an issue with contributing to his education but this demand for me to pay and to be treated this way I find unacceptable.

How does the law view this?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:13 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Most agreements set an end date of 21-22 or one post secondary degree. If you dont have an agreement you can tell your ex if she wants anything she can take you to court and prove hes still eligible.

PS is grey area in the law. If he was younger I would advise its an uphill battle to show hes not a child of the marriage but being 23 and having a college degree makes his need less obvious. Add in the treatment and hes got nothing to force you to pay.