Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:40 PM

torontonian is on a distinguished road
Default Mediation after a case conference?

Just trying to see what is the usual way of doing things after the case is already in the justice system. I tried for a long time to convince X to go to mediation, but X took our case to the courts. At the CC, the Judge gave a reference frame for our simple case and things are not that far apart but X suddenly wants mediation. Doesn't feel right (delay tactic?)... Settlement conference has already been scheduled. Thoughts?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:48 AM

anotherSTEPmother is on a distinguished road

Trying mediation before the settlement conference may be a good idea. What I would do is schedule a mediation session without changing the settlement conference date. IF you can come together on a few items that could help things conclude either that day or the settlement conference date. Refusing mediation does not look good on you. If it ends up being a waste of time then it is... BUT if you work out your arrangements then even better.

Worth a shot, maybe X is more willing to work things out now, are you represented, is your x?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 AM

anotherSTEPmother is on a distinguished road

Also, if your x refused to do mediation at the conference maybe you could seek costs?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM

staysingle is on a distinguished road

Good advise from anotherSTEmother. I would also keep the settlement conference date at all costs. If the other side is uncooperative or unenthused about scheduling mediation before the settlement conference you know they are stalling. I say this because you know the situation best and judging by your posy your instincts are sensing something off.

Can you share what are the issues that are not resolved? This can help others on this site give their views
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 PM

torontonian is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your help everyone The only big remaining issue is SS, which is just crunching numbers really, and ironing out a few processes to disentangle our lives. Nothing that 2 lawyers can't deal with (we both are represented). X still doesn't understand how Family Law works and believes to be right...
Closed Thread