End of child support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
    I paid rent when I was 18. If things are that tight with him living there then he can pay something or help out in another way. Just because they are split doesn’t mean one spouse has to subsidize the other. If he died the life insurance would have covered the mortgage but living expenses would still be there. I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who expect everyone else to subsidize their life. Being divorced doesn’t mean having to pay for everything for the rest of your life. We had a parent who paid nothing and the other parent couldn’t work. We all paid household expenses and I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all. I knew more about mortgages, taxes, utilities and household repair costs than most people in their 20s.
    Look at these kids who go out into the world with no idea of what life costs. They are so use to having all their expenses paid and spending all their own money on wants they have a very hard time and usually rack up massive credit card debt.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
      Look at these kids who go out into the world with no idea of what life costs. They are so use to having all their expenses paid and spending all their own money on wants they have a very hard time and usually rack up massive credit card debt.

My husband thought his kids were like every other kid until he met my nieces and nephews. They all paid half their school costs or most of their school costs. My siblings told them they had to work and they did. My one niece worked two part time jobs while going to high school because “money is nice”. Meanwhile his ex and kids kept going on about how hard life is and how they needed time off etc. When they went to school they ate out twice a day, went home every weekend to see bfs and then claimed meals out while on break in the expenses.

When I look back on my life I admit it was difficult but I see it as we just didn’t have the extras. We had food, a roof and heat. We contributed to stay together and survive. I would never have wanted my kids to live in fear of going hungry but if they were upset to not get to attend camp or have designer clothes then I would have a problem.

Comment

Tim Horton's and Walmart are always looking for long-term/life employees.

Personally I would try to financially assist and support my 18-yr old to move to the next step in his education/career, he's going to need the help and some guidance. It ain't easy out there.
        Last edited by mcdreamy; 09-08-2019, 07:08 PM.
        Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X