Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post secondary and living arrangements

Hi,
    If my kid goes to post secondary but lives in a rental condo I purchase, are they considered to be living at home (and will my ex need to continue paying CS), or will it be considered “living away”?

You will still need to contribute to heat hydro, food, water etc.

When you calculate it out, the price may be the same as cs.

Plus you are on the hook for the costs of the condo.

Comment

To me that is not living at home as it is a rental. It is not your primary residence.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
        To me that is not living at home as it is a rental. It is not your primary residence.
        My leaning is with this as well.

The child's primary residence for the duration of the school year would not be the custodial parents address. So c/s would cease. The costs for the condo for the child to attend I think would be split the same as other post secondary costs, 1/3rd to the child and the remaining 2/3rds to the parents proportionally to income.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
          My leaning is with this as well.

The child's primary residence for the duration of the school year would not be the custodial parents address. So c/s would cease. The costs for the condo for the child to attend I think would be split the same as other post secondary costs, 1/3rd to the child and the remaining 2/3rds to the parents proportionally to income.

But the custodial parent could argue the living expenses are not necessary as kid could live with them therefore they are not paying them.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            But the custodial parent could argue the living expenses are not necessary as kid could live with them therefore they are not paying them.

That’s assuming the parents live in the same location as the school. I have a few friends who had parents purchase homes in the city they went to school to save on costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
              That’s assuming the parents live in the same location as the school. I have a few friends who had parents purchase homes in the city they went to school to save on costs

True but I have a feeling this is more about not paying support. I could be wrong but some questions are popping up in my head.

Comment

True but I have a feeling this is more about not paying support. I could be wrong but some questions are popping up in my head.

Actually if you read the first post it seems they want their ex to continue paying support while the child lives in the condo

Comment

Yes but if you read the other thread they started you can see my thoughts...

Originally posted by Nba2709 View Post
                  Hi my kid is planning to live with my ex for university. I have set up an RESP after our divorce and I’m the sole contributor. Can the excess RESP be used towards child support?

Will I need to pay full child support (table amount) AND extraordinary expenses? Will my RESP contributions count as MY contribution to her university fees or will it be considered the child’s contribution?

Thanks in advance for advice!

Comment

Yes but if you read the other thread they started you can see my thoughts...

Yes I have read the other thread... it’s once again parents trying to one up each other. Rather than thinking of the children one wants CS and the other doesn’t want to pay

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                      Yes I have read the other thread... it’s once again parents trying to one up each other. Rather than thinking of the children one wants CS and the other doesn’t want to pay
                      I agree.

I am of the opinion that the optimal way to look at this is what is the cost of residence for the student? The lowest common denominator to determine the cost of the residence.

Think of it as a fencing dispute between two neighbours. One neighbour wants to put up a fancy-dancy fence made of vinyl that costs say 300$ a foot on the property line and the other doesn't want to. If this dispute were taken to court the judge would tell the fancy-dancy fence wanting person that they can only get the cost of a 4' chain link fence at 25$ a foot. They can install the fancy-dancy vinyle fence but, they are going to have to foot 275$ a foot to do that and are only going to get $25 a foot from the other property owner.

My advice to the OP is that you at best will get the proportional value of what it would cost for your child to reside in residence (the cheapest residence to boot) in the area as a s7 expense. You wn't get the full value of your fancy-dancy living arrangements you setup for the child. The judge won't even consider your fancy-dancy owned property as reasonable. Judges always equate things down to the minimum cost to do something generally.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X