This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law Relationship

The law in Ontario was changed on March 31, 2010 as it pertains to common law relationship; a couple is now required to live together for a period of 3 years before being considered "common law". Previous to that date, a couple were required to reside together for one year to be considered "common law".

I dated my ex for 11 years, but we lived together for 2.5 years (June 2006 to Dec 2008).

Question: Since the law changed after we were separated, do I fall under the old law or the new law?

?? I read the updates to the Family Law Act a few weeks ago and didn't see any reference to this. Also, every reference I have looked at has always said in Ontario it is 3 years to be common law, unless there is a child.

If you have access to the changes to the act, it will always specificly say if a change is retroactive or not.

Comment

Thank you. I will look further into this.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X