This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouses belongings ???

If my ex moved out over a month and a half ago and didn't leave a address or phone number where she can be reached plus if she never made any friends in her 10 years of living in the big city (sad I know) what are my legal rights when it comes to getting rid of her stuff?

All I have is her email which she does not reply to too often. Can I forcebly tell her she has 30 days to move her stuff otherwise it goes out on the street, and actually move it outside if she doesn't claim it in 30 days?

I have asked this question several times here but many people read it and never reply, why?

Leathal

Leathal,

That is a catch 22 situation.

Before you can dispose of the persons possessions you have to give notice of same. Technically, due to the scope of the relationship you could be held liable if you dispose of the possessions.

Moreover, if the persons possessions become damaged while in your care, you could also become liable.

You have to come up with some way and take steps of finding the individual and notify them to remove them. ie: 30 days. Be sure to have witness's around when this occurs or video same. Do not assist them with the moving of the belongings as if anything is damaged, you could be held liable.

lv

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity
      Leathal,

That is a catch 22 situation.

Before you can dispose of the persons possessions you have to give notice of same. Technically, due to the scope of the relationship you could be held liable if you dispose of the possessions.

Moreover, if the persons possessions become damaged while in your care, you could also become liable.

You have to come up with some way and take steps of finding the individual and notify them to remove them. ie: 30 days. Be sure to have witness's around when this occurs or video same. Do not assist them with the moving of the belongings as if anything is damaged, you could be held liable.

lv
      If I where to find her mailing address would it be required that I get a witness to sign off on the notice letter?

Thanks
      Andrew

Comment

Perhaps you could check with their friends or relatives or even a PI to locate same.

lv

Comment

Does she have a job where you can call her??

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X