Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• child support for a disabled child,

Hi everyone , nice and warm out there ?
    well My oldest child is done school and on her own, so the ex and i filed to stop support for her this weekend,
    the next oldest child is almost non-verbal autistic , he will turn 18 in 13 months ,
    the ex wife stated that if I want to see him , I have to make all the arrangements cause she thinks support will stop for him and then she cause she won't getting support for him She doesn't have to let me see him,
    Dah stupied woman ,
    she is even hinting of group homes at this point , i said if you put him in a home i will seek custody of him , to me if she puts him in a home she is giving up custody so I have a right to have him live with me , she said she there is no way in hell she is paying me support if he lives with me ,

Any one been thru this what are your thoughts?
    I figure support is life long for him cause he is disabled , secound if she puts him in a home cause support is stopped , I should be able to get custody of him then ,

I know it sounds like a real mess, but this is how things are for me , I than any one who can shed some light on this , worried about the future .

Is there an autism support group that might have resources? My S8 is high functioning and both Kerrys Place and the aspergers society of Ontario have given us great help. You can't be the only divorced parent of someone on the spectrum. They might have some legal perspective around custody and group homes.

It may also help to have letters from his support workers stating that you can provide care in conjunction with respite that would exceed what he can get from a group environment.

Maybe even contacting the OCL would be of benefit?

Comment

When the child has a diagnosis and special needs support will not automatically stop at 18.

If she does put him in a group home, custody will depend on what type of group home, how he is functioning in that home, and if it is his best interest. She could have a case that he is able to have some independent skills and freedom to progress in the group home that he will not have in parents home.

Does she have sole now? I would get in touch with Kerry's Place, they are an amazing resource and might be able to help you.

Comment

Hate to say this, but have you thought of the future? What happens when you are no longer able to look after him yourself? Isnt it better for him to get into some sort of program like dadx5 mentioned to help him adapt to life with a little independence? I know you may not like the idea but you have to also plan for the future. You may be surprised and find he does better in a program with people who are trained to look after people with challenges. Don't shut it down until you investigate some of the services offered.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X