This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neglect

Can someone help give me insight to what constitutes as neglect? Physical and emotional and what can be done when it's suspected of the other parent

OACAS: Child Welfare: Signs of Abuse

The above site might help to provide definitions.

Often times a frank, non accusatory, discussion with the OP can help and clear up matters. Depends on your situation.

If its bad you can contact your local CAS office. If you have a lawyer and can afford their consult, you can review your concerns with them- keeping in mind they have a legal duty to report.

Without knowing the situation it is difficult to provide further suggestions. I hope it all goes ok.

Comment

Thanks for the link.... this answered my questions and concerns-
      Most caregivers do not intend to neglect their children. It usually results from ignorance about appropriate care for children or an ability to plan ahead.

Neglect occurs when a caregiver fails to provide basic needs such as adequate food, sleep, safety, supervision, clothing or medical treatment.

Behavioural indicators
      pale, listless, unkempt
      frequent absence from school
      inappropriate clothing for the weather, dirty clothes

Physical indicators
      poor hygiene
      unattended physical problems or medical needs, eg dental work, glasses
      consistent lack of supervision

So now what? All of these are very evident in my case and I don't know what to do or my next step.... no lawyer dont want one but something needs to be done!

Comment

If you haven't already you could point out the issue with the OP. I know, more than likely not going to help. The OP sounds like he/she needs help to be a better parent.

You can call CAS anonymously. Dial *67 before you dial or use a pay phone. You can try this route and get their advice as to how to proceed.

The child's safety is paramount. You may just want to call CAS and disclose all your concerns. They have the authority to force supervised access, help the OP be a better parent by forcing required courses or suspending parenting time. They can also get help for the child to lessen any long term affects.

Comment

I have attempted on several occasions to raise my concerns, but I have to deal with a high conflict individual who always lies and tries to cover up their story. And tells me constantly that it's not their problem that I am having issues with the child
          But this is affecting our child and in just the short few months have brought the child in to the doctors with different infections all that occured and went ignored while in the op's care.
          I feel like im pinned between two rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post

Behavioural indicators
            pale, listless, unkempt
            frequent absence from school
            inappropriate clothing for the weather, dirty clothes

Physical indicators
            poor hygiene
            unattended physical problems or medical needs, eg dental work, glasses
            consistent lack of supervision
            So now what? All of these are very evident in my case and I don't know what to do or my next step.... no lawyer dont want one but something needs to be done!
            Get all your documented proof of all of the above in order.

Comment

How do I get all documented proof? I only have responses that are lies.... its hard to think while treating and taking care of the child to run and get the camera to take pictures of their private spots etc. My priority is to take care of it... no questions asked. That's what good parents do!

Comment

I believe your only option would be to call CAS or speak with the child's doctor about your concerns. The family doctor also has a legal duty to report.

As parents we have a duty to protect our children. Even if that means valid protection from their OP.

It's still difficult to determine which route you should go based on what info you have provided. While its not necessary to disclose it all, only you know your situation in its entirety.

One could argue that children get sick and some parents overreact or under react when they do.

Is it the child's first year of school, did they start at a new day care? These are unknowns.

If your still not sure and its related to illnesses, make an appointment with the child's doctor and speak to him/her about your concerns pronto.

Comment

Private spots????

Call CAS. Make an appointment for your child to be thoroughly examined.

Comment

OhMy:

Um...kids get infections, yes...on their private parts: diaper rash, yeast infections, poison ivy, all kinds of things. Doesn't necessarily indicate abuse but can be neglect . don't go jumping to conclusions or trying to raise alarm bells wi
                    thout knowing.

Comment

The child went to the family doctor, I did not suspect abuse, just neglect on attending to private parts that were swollen, inflammed, red and alittle raw... which still uncertain how it developed and the child is no longer in diapers hasn't been for a few years.....
                      Last edited by tugofwar; 10-02-2012, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                        OhMy:

Um...kids get infections, yes...on their private parts: diaper rash, yeast infections, poison ivy, all kinds of things. Doesn't necessarily indicate abuse but can be neglect . don't go jumping to conclusions or trying to raise alarm bells wi
                        thout knowing.

Not trying to argue and please see my prior post. As a parent I am aware of what things children can get in their private spots, as a health care professional, I also know this as well.

The poster has some serious concerns, alludes abuse and sought advice.

Neglect is abuse.

Comment

Thank You Ohmy. That's the question I have been asking myself... it keeps getting worse instead of better and even after I raised my concerns, they are still ignorant to attending to the needs of the child while in their care. They are not aware that even pawning the child off on someone else, they are still the responsible person in the situation.

Comment

The child went to the family doctor, I did not suspect abuse, just neglect on attending to private parts that were swollen, inflammed, red and alittle raw... which still uncertain how it developed and the child is no longer in diapers hasn't been for a few years.....
                            Was this a one time occurrence?

Comment

Thank You Ohmy. That's the question I have been asking myself... it keeps getting worse instead of better and even after I raised my concerns, they are still ignorant to attending to the needs of the child while in their care. They are not aware that even pawning the child off on someone else, they are still the responsible person in the situation.
                              Seems to me that you are trying to be cautious and not cry wolf if anything isn't going on. That you don't want to make a high conflict OP even more so. That you are highly concerned about the care or lack of care being provided.

Personally, I would call CAS anonymously giving no ones name and explain the situation, then decide which route you want to take.

Best of luck. The worry of wondering if your child is being properly cared for is not a pleasurable one.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X