avantages/disadvantages of useing FRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avantages/disadvantages of useing FRO

Should I be using this or is it only for use if payments are not being given. Elsewhere in another thread I read that it is only for court orders. If you write up a separation agreement, does that become a court order, or only if dont agree and go to trial? Do they collect section 7?

Originally posted by denbigh View Post
    Should I be using this or is it only for use if payments are not being given. Elsewhere in another thread I read that it is only for court orders. If you write up a separation agreement, does that become a court order, or only if dont agree and go to trial? Do they collect section 7?

You can use FRO if you have a separation agreement. I only have an agreement (no court order) and have used it since 2014, after a few years of the ex being in and out of arrears. If your ex has a history of not paying or there is conflict surrounding the monthly payment at all I would use it. Payor pays FRO and FRO pays you so a third party deals with it and you don’t accept money directly. In theory it should reduce conflict.
    Also, my ex didn’t have to agree to it. I contacted them and had it set up even though he was vehemently opposed to it.
    I can’t answer your question about Section 7 as I’ve never used them for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

An agreement can be used you just have to go to the courthouse and have it turned into an order via paperwork.

For section 7, if you dont have a set amount (ie: payor pays $100 per month for daycare) then you submit a statement of arrears. The payor will have to dispute it by showing why it is not a legit expense.

Comment

I think one person can enroll in it but it takes the consent of both to get out of it.

Comment

I plan on using it, why not we are paying for it anyway in our tax dollars. I am tired of hearing my ex telling me he will pay me "when he can", he can tell them that from now on. I believe it will cut down on some of the conflict between us.

I'd like to know what the disadvantages are?
          Last edited by kate331; 03-04-2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

I have never received a dime directly from my ex. I registered with MEP (Alberta) at time of our separation. The first thing they did was issue a Personal Property Registry Order. After they peppered him with letters they sent out a Federal Support Deduction Order and various Wage Support Deduction Orders. I never received any tax return money but now that ex is older I receive 50% of his CPP and OAS along with any other money that the federal government doles out. These orders do not go away.

Typically collection begins after debtor is 31 days in default. In Alberta everything is computer generated. Your ex would have likely received some letters from FRO already.

Maintenance enforcement agencies will direct your ex's employer to pay them directly, along with threat that if they do not comply the employer could be held responsible for 100% of debt owed to you. Employers have to comply. If your ex has not made any sort of arrangement with FRO then FRO will direct the employer to pay the maximum amount allowable (I don't know what it is in Ontario).

You will get your money but initially it will take time and can be frustrating figuring out your actual payment date going forward. Your FRO person will be able to help you. Keep in mind that all maintenance enforcement agencies are call centres. You are fortunate that you have an assigned person to your case. Alberta is finally starting this but before it was a pain as there was no "file ownership."

I have heard the biggest frustration is getting someone from FRO to call you back. Others can chime in here with their experiences.

All-in-all, I think maintenance enforcement agencies are a blessing to those of us who otherwise would never receive any money.

Comment

When you register, ask about their new online service. I havent seen it myself but it may help with some of the other issues.

Like health care and education in this province, social service agencies are underfunded and understaffed. More cases are added daily adding to the volumes these people carry. Be patient and do whatever you can to help.

Best idea is to learn to live on less and when you do get cs, its a bonus. Your ex is an ex for a reason and the only power they have is to pull this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                When you register, ask about their new online service. I havent seen it myself but it may help with some of the other issues.

Like health care and education in this province, social service agencies are underfunded and understaffed. More cases are added daily adding to the volumes these people carry. Be patient and do whatever you can to help.

Best idea is to learn to live on less and when you do get cs, its a bonus. Your ex is an ex for a reason and the only power they have is to pull this crap.

I agree. It’s about power. He can’t control that he has to pay so he’ll control WHEN he pays. I have bounced cheques in the past when I was assuming money would show up in an account on a certain date. Embarrassing. I have to make it work without the money and then put it all on the visa I wrack up when he actually pays it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My partner makes his payment the first of the month or even a day or two before and then deposits the extra money he would pay her if they weren’t with FRO into a savings account so that when the case is finally settled he has the funds to pay the arrears. FRO cant help a parent who pays like MEP can which really sucks. Hopefully you were able to get through to someone.

Comment

In years to come, when you have hopefully moved on with your life, its nice to know you have something in place if/when your ex decides to quit paying you. In my situation this has been ongoing since 2009. Had I not had MEP enforcement I would have spent money (that I didn't have) pursuing ex for the paltry amount of money he now has to pay me. Do a cost-benefit analysis of your own situation and ask yourself if you really want to spend years upon years in court chasing your ex to pay.

On the "up" side of things, there is nothing nicer than knowing one's ex gets peppered with collection letters and phone calls... has damage to credit rating... no longer has a passport.... pays or loses drivers' licence. If you seriously think that you have the wherewith-all and stamina to make these collection actions happen on your own... go for it.

Comment

As the recipient, there is no reason not to use FRO.

As a bonus, at the end of CS, you'll probably squeeze out an extra payment or two from your ex before he can stop the money train. Just make sure not to agree to lower payments on consent.

Comment

As the payer, what time frame should you start proceedings to terminate FRO?

Comment

Originally posted by dadonown View Post
                          As the payer, what time frame should you start proceedings to terminate FRO?

As soon as possible. If you know a child is coming up to being no longer entitled to support, file with FRO within a few months. It will take them time to look into it but they hold the money until then. The scenario could be its January and know kid is graduating in April and will no longer be eligible for support. Print the form and send it in with the dates listed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X