Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OCL (Office of the Children's Lawyer) - What to Expect?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't come without a few gray hairs pooing out PND .. I just want to get on with life now. Just wish ex did also. Trial-bound.

Comment

Didn't realize I wasn't in your thread, LF so I'm moving my thread-jack.
      Last edited by Rioe; 08-17-2015, 12:01 PM. Reason: threadjacking

Comment

Yeah. I think we are all probably saying the same thing. Of course be yourself and be honest. Don't try to sound like a lawyer but DO prepare.

Because walking in...unless you're top grade at toastmasters you just ain't going to get the points across that you need in the short time they provide.

Thanks LF32 for re-posting that link. My OCL assessor asked almost line for line those questions.

They started back at high school and then asked about past relationships with girlfriends. That was just not something I really was prepared for...and I think I actually said I'm not really here to discuss any of that but I had no prior history of abuse or any violent/controlling tendencies.

Amazing she just shifted on to the next question and I came out as squeaky clean...but an "honest" guy might wax poetic trying to sound fair and balance. "Well...you know woman...had a few bad breakups. " What?!

Even as I thought through what my answers would be to various questions I was surprised by my own regressive nature...trying to tell too much back story...not really getting to the salient points.

So just walking in cold is not recommended by me. But of course be yourself and be honest.

To me this was THE most important two hour interview I have and will likely ever be in.

I kept that in my mind and thought...if I misrepresented things...it was on me.

Comment

They started back at high school and then asked about past relationships with girlfriends. That was just not something I really was prepared for...and I think I actually said I'm not really here to discuss any of that but I had no prior history of abuse or any violent/controlling tendencies.
          Agreed. They go way back. They ask if you fought with your sibling's, the perceived relationships of parents (if you witnessed them argue), your past g/f's and social relations.
          Just be prepared for anything.

Comment

Totally play to be the most wonderful person in the world. Be extremely polite and tell them what hey want to hear.

Even make up a feel bad for me story and a fell proud of me story too. You think that,s dumb? These people do not know you and have been given bad gossip about you, think about it, these professionals are only pro,s as their being paid, that is as far as it goes for their insight. Be smarter by playing dumb.

Comment

Well the OCL is done - after 5 years of joint custody, they are recommending sole custody for myself but continued to keep access the same but switch up days/etc. They did some investigations but left a lot out. I was shocked by the whole process to be honest. They flat out said they didn't pursue most physicians for my X because it would involve "too long of a drive". To give perspective, there are major mental health challenges for my ex, years of false police reports/etc. While they made clear she is impossible to deal with and that sole custody was needed, they didn't want to change access. She has subjected my kids to dangerous things. So I guess now it's my job to show the courts why limiting access is necessary. So while I'm thankful for the recommendation in change of custody, I feel like they left this access issue wide open because they failed to thoroughly investigate.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X