This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support Ends at ?

Does child support end the month following when the child completes grade 12 (i.e. cs would end in July if the child finished in June) or does it last through the summer until the child 'leaves' for post-secondary (he is going out of town).
    Re: any continuing support that he contributes towards the child's post-sec - does this channel through me or go directly to the child (he is over 18 and well able to take care of his own financials).
    Thanks

CS continues during post-secondary studies, on top of S7, unless you have a different agreement. The child/student, by default, stays "dependent". CS continues to be paid to the payee unless you have - again - a different agreement...

I personally have CS stopping and all expenses rolled into S7, shared pro-rata of income, paid to the child directly. But that was the end result of hard work negotiating... Child is expected to contribute to the expenses (most common: 1/3 child, 2/3 parents)

I suggest you search on this forum or on CANLII for concrete examples.

Comment

What if child doesnt continue post secondary education after high school ,but instead goes to work ? Does CS end right then ? What if after say a year working ,child decides to go to college ? Is then CS going to be reinstated ?

Comment

If child work = self supporting = independent = no a child of marriage = no CS (but you have to do the paperwork)

As for the break issue, this is is more of a moral issue... you're off the CS/S7 hook, but do you want a relationship with the kid?

Comment

I was just curious ....but if it was my child I would gladly continue paying for his education or whatever else he might need ,and not because its a moral issue but more because I want him to have better future and life than I do Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 23yearsin View Post
            Does child support end the month following when the child completes grade 12 (i.e. cs would end in July if the child finished in June) or does it last through the summer until the child 'leaves' for post-secondary (he is going out of town).
            Re: any continuing support that he contributes towards the child's post-sec - does this channel through me or go directly to the child (he is over 18 and well able to take care of his own financials).
            Thanks
            Really... Never if you are a good parent. Once a parent, always a parent. The parent child relationship exists until death. Weddings, first home, etc... Families should support each other through thick and thin. Just my perspective.

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

Absolutely agreed the parent child realtionship continues until death, through all. Getting kids matured, educated and well-informed was what i signed on for when i got pregnant, no matter what the cost. Helping my teen succeed in the world brings immeasureable joy & satisfaction to us both. We look forward to their place in the world with excitement. Already we enjoy our commitment & support to one another through adversity & success because we are here to cheer this family on and up in the world. No matter where we settle, we will always have each other. Money can never buy this happiness, & we believe everything we need for success in this world is inside ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                Really... Never if you are a good parent. Once a parent, always a parent. The parent child relationship exists until death. Weddings, first home, etc... Families should support each other through thick and thin. Just my perspective.

Good Luck!
                Tayken
                I think it was said before somewhere on forum, but kids need to learn how to stand on their own two feet. Saying that, I don't mean not providing support at all. Just don't agree with the "Never Ending part". If they need help with something and they show effort and work their way towards their goal, by all means any good parent will help. But kids are growing people that need to build their life experience and appreciate through hard work everything they achieve. It will be that much more valuable at the end. Just my 2 cents ; )

Comment

Yes, that's what i'm talking about! We don't get support but this kid graduated on the honor roll, picked an apprenticeship she really wanted, has worked part-time since she was 14 and has learned so well how to be an independent individual with a great future. I won't brag but we did lots together and i know i'm a good parent. I did not keep going to court for support and we turned out A1 ! Good times with this family despite divorce, yay.

Comment

I have mentioned in a previous post that I don't plan to pay for my boys' educations, my parents didn't. I worked hard and put myself through university. I don't like the fact that the divorced kids parents are expected to pay for the kids university when if the parents had stayed together they wouldn't have done so.

Comment

Originally posted by CCB View Post
                      I have mentioned in a previous post that I don't plan to pay for my boys' educations, my parents didn't. I worked hard and put myself through university. I don't like the fact that the divorced kids parents are expected to pay for the kids university when if the parents had stayed together they wouldn't have done so.
                      I totally understand, I never got a penny myself. However, the courts will not agree with you if your ex asks for the support, so it will become an order, just so you have a head's up...

Comment

Personnally, I grew up in a big family where parents contributed to the extend they could. In returns, we now as adults contribute back to them. That what family is for. I will do the same with my kids, regardless their age.

Comment

Seems like a bunch of us are at or beyond this issue of older kids and when/how/can we stop paying so/too much....Lawyers seem to say"give me lots of your money and we"ll see how it turns out"...so then we/i must figure out how to self rep..Anyways...........

Comment

I think it is one thing to support your child when required and another to have a government agency or ex-spouse tell you how, what and when support should be provided. Once self dependent, a son or daughter should be able to work that out themselves with each or both parents.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X