Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting Article - Interesting

Have American Parents Got It All Backwards? | Christine Gross-Loh

You may not agree with all the things in the article but it's an interesting perspective.

Very much enjoyed this article.

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
      Have American Parents Got It All Backwards? | Christine Gross-Loh

You may not agree with all the things in the article but it's an interesting perspective.
      If posters haven't figured it out yet... I am not fond of the ice-cube-tray "over anxious" parents who pretend to be "crunchy". In fact, I advocate significantly for new diagnostic standards for properly assessing parental conduct and new mental health diagnostic criteria. Namely an expansion of the parental behaviour scales (or the establishment of better ones) which could better assess parental anxiety and the impact it has on the parent-child dyad (relationship). A scale a family practitioner could apply easily to help assess parental conduct and direct parents to the proper mental health services.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

It's an admirable goal, but parental behaviour can be challenging to assess. Observer Effect and all that. "I'm here to judge your parenting to see if you should have custody of your child. Just pretend I'm not here and behave normally!"

So much goes on in a home behind closed doors that people around have no idea about.

Comment

I like what the article says about delayed education. That sounds like the Waldor-Steiner method. My ex was the one who introduced us to it and it was a great idea.
          Essentially, they foster a lot of creative expression in the child before teaching the 3Rs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
            It's an admirable goal, but parental behaviour can be challenging to assess.
            No doubt that it can be hard to assess but, it is done quite often and there are scales to do so. Most mental health diagnosis are scale based and that is the most difficult element of coming to a diagnosis.

Observer Effect and all that. "I'm here to judge your parenting to see if you should have custody of your child. Just pretend I'm not here and behave normally!"
            The challenge is that the scale needs to account more for the subjective influences. That is why most diagnosis in mental health are done in conjunction with multiple professionals. (This is why I am NOT a fan of OCL/Section 30 "reports" as they lack second opinions 99.9% of the time.)

So much goes on in a home behind closed doors that people around have no idea about.
            A good scale and testing procedures can unlock that door though. I have only ever seen two (2) assessments where proper psychological tests were administered to both parents. That is out of 200+ that I have pulled from court files.

It is a shame that the OCL/Section "30" experts want to have a single opinion in what they recommend to justices. It is a shame that Section 30 and OCL don't have strong clinical guide lines driving their mandates.... Other than a few sentences in legislation...

Technical OCL and Section 30 is all subjective evidence and not a diagnosis. The Section 30 / OCL investigators are not permitted to make a diagnosis. Most of these "assessments" are too limited in time to properly observe a family to make any recommendation. In fact, their opinion evidence is usually crappy and limited in scope.

Expert evidence generally makes simple matters more complex...

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X