Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shared Parental Responsibility: A Harm Reduction-Based Approach to Divorce Law Reform

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Parental Responsibility: A Harm Reduction-Based Approach to Divorce Law Reform

I was on hunt for some materials to support my believe that there is no way conflict will reduce when court award one side with sole custody. I found that article.

Shared Parental Responsibility:
    A Harm Reduction-Based Approach
    to Divorce Law Reform

Just started to read before my both kick my but reminding me I have work to do but already realy like it. Check it out:

Four Key Findings
    The following North American studies have uncovered new data directly relevant to policymakers and legislators in the field of child custody. In particular, four important new findings call into question the desirability of present divorce laws and practices:

1. Children of divorce want equal time with their parents, and consider
    shared parenting to be in their best interests. Seventy percent of children of divorce believe that equal amounts of time with each parent is the best living arrangement for children; and children who had equal time arrangements have the best relations with each of their parents after divorce.

2. Not only do children of divorce want equal time but it works. A review
    of 33 major North American studies comparing sole with joint physical custody arrangements has shown that children in joint custody arrangements fare significantly better on all adjustment measures than children who live in sole custody arrangements.

3. Shared custody works for parents, too. Interparental conflict decreases
    over time in shared custody arrangements, and increases in sole custody arrangements. Interparental cooperation increases over time in shared custody arrangements, and decreases in sole custody arrangements.

I wonder reaction on judge face when he reads it
    It has also become clear that judicial discretion in the child custody arena is highly problematic: judges are not trained in the area of child development and family dynamics; they are largely guided by their own personal biases regarding what is best for children. Taking decision-making out of the hands of parents with respect to their children’s future, heightens conflict between the former spouses; and options for judges are limited to maternal or paternal custody in contested cases.
    The results of effectively removing a parent from a child’s life is reflected in the high rate of non-custodial parent disengagement, often involving parents previously highly involved in their children’s lives.
    If everybody knew about that article just ignore it ... If it will be useful for someone I would be happy...
    Last edited by WorkingDAD; 04-07-2011, 02:06 PM.

What was the fourth key finding?

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
      What was the fourth key finding?
      or shoot. Missed that one. Thx Rioe

4. Both U.S. and Canadian research indicates that mothers and fathers
      working outside the home now spend about the same amount of time caring for their children. According to research by Health Canada, on average, each week mothers devote 11.1 hours to child care; fathers devote 10.5 hours–a 51-49% split of child care tasks. Over the past decade, mothers’ child care involvement has dropped by 33%, while fathers’ participation has decreased by 15%.7

Comment

Interesting statistics on that last fact.

Not that my experience is necessarily representative, but I wonder about that division of labour. I have a funny feeling that people are rating child care hours completely differently. The father may be counting taking the kids to the park to watch them play for an hour while he plays on his phone towards his child care time, while the mother is not counting time spent making dinner while mediating arguments between siblings, taking an infant to the grocery store, or doing the vacuuming with a baby in one arm as being childcare.

It's slowly changing, but we do still live in an unfortunately sexist society right now. Also, I'm a critical thinker, with heavy emphasis on the critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
          The father may be counting taking the kids to the park to watch them play for an hour while he plays on his phone towards his child care time, while the mother is not counting time spent making dinner while mediating arguments between siblings, taking an infant to the grocery store, or doing the vacuuming with a baby in one arm as being childcare.
          I wonder if they include time when momma is on the phone talking with her friends while the kid is behind the couch chewing on electrical cords?

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
            I wonder if they include time when momma is on the phone talking with her friends while the kid is behind the couch chewing on electrical cords?
            Oo, I like this game! Or times when the child is locked in their bedroom while both parents get high...

Wait, I was supposed to leave my work at the office. Sorry.

Comment

One from me

Or leave baby on bed so it fall on floor

ok one more

Or leave infant in apartment and climb outside window to clean it from outside on a third floor...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X