Lawyer Snafu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abba435 View Post
    I do not trust any family law lawyer I have ever had any dealings with.
    Some lawyers are clearly just trying to rack up billable hours. I’ve heard horror stories of lawyers randomly picking up a file, doing a “status report” and then charging $600, for something that was never asked or needed. My lawyer was more than fair, and although I paid a hefty piece, I got an education in family law and how to write briefs. If I ever need to get into the ring again, I will self-rep but thanks to the education I got from my lawyer.

With regards to snafu, the client should not be held accountable in any way. Lawyer should go to court on behalf of client, tell judge how he/she messed up and the inadvertent impact it had, and take ownership going forward. A case should be resolved by the parties (settlement or trial) and not by virtue of a lawyer (or admin) dropping the ball. That simply is not fair.

Comment

How sad is it that some end up paying the equivalent of law school tuition to get an education as you say, and only then from a really good lawyer that can communicate with you. The bad ones don't teach anything except how to write them cheques.

This is a business based on arrogance and a system that is set up to confuse, obfuscate and strip assets from mainly innocent and decent people. No-one is worth $300 an hour in my books for this work product. yes there are some decent and ethical family law lawyers. Few. Most got sucked into the vortex and lost sight of why they went to law school. It is supposed to be about justice. It is not.

Call me cynical. Maybe naive.

Comment

I was told that once a lawyer prepares your financials he knows EXACTLY how much you are worth and will do their "calculations" on how much money they are going to make from your case. It doesn't matter how much equity you have they will take it anyway. No conscience. TRUE STORY:. When I was first looking for a family lawyer one lawyer who was too busy to take my case referred me to one of his colleagues. He said to me that I should just mention to him that I have a house. . I didn't end up calling that lawyer obviously but they are all the effen same. A few more I called for a consult over the phone all asked me if there was a family home involved. Pieces of crap!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X