Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:07 AM

gmcode is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Can I communicate with the layer on the other side

Hi,

Can’t get a hold of my lawyer, or my layer is only interested moving the case to court. can I communicate with lawyer on the other side directly to settle the case? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2021, 08:26 AM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

If you do that while represented your lawyer may dump you as a client. Direct your own lawyer to help you draft an offer to settle and send it to the other side.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:07 AM

cleanSlate is on a distinguished road

The other lawyer is not allowed to engage you in communications while you are represented.

Your lawyer may find it hard to dump you. Apparently it isn't easy but they may try to convince you they can.

If you ex doesn't want to talk to you then leave it at that. They can pull all the strings of their lawyer and their lawyer has to follow their direction.

You can direct you lawyer to send a letter for you.

We really don't know your situation or your lawyer, they may be doing you good this way.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:13 AM

Yes I did direct my lawyer to revise the offer the other party made, and work with the other party lawyer to finalize it. but my lawyer said he has to do an analysis before drafting an offer, and asked a whole bunch of financial info, which I don’t think necessary, I know what I want to settle the case, what shall I do? Fire the lawyer? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:50 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

He does have to do an analysis to go along with the independent legal advice clause in the agreement. Not to mention he is paid to protect you. By telling you he wants to do a review it means he is doing a risk analysis which in the end will BENEFIT you. He is working to protect you and his hesitation tells me that your offer is not a good idea or puts you in a bad position.

If you are going to voluntarily make bone headed decisions, why bother asking us or even paying a lawyer?
Old 09-13-2021, 10:41 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Your lawyer has an obligation to fully serve you when you hire them. That means you are paying them to give you their best advice and represent your interest. His/her job is to review and analyze ALL the materials presented to you and prepared by you and give his/her advice on what to pursue, what not to pursue, and what is not worth it, etc.

Even though I knew my draft separation agreement by heart, my lawyer still insisted on meeting with me and walking it through line-by-line before I signed it. She did that as part of her due diligence, and I had no problem with that as that is their job to ensure I know exactly what I am signing, what I am gaining, and what I am giving up, and how much further court proceedings (including trial) would cost.

Remember that you are not your lawyer's only client. What is pressing to you might not be pressing on his/her calendar. You think your lawyer may need to act on your matter immediately, meanwhile, for all you know, they might be prepping for an emergency motion to have a child returned from a withholding parent.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:56 AM

Seems only way to progress a settlement in a timely and cost effective manner is to terminate the representation?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:24 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcode View Post
Seems only way to progress a settlement in a timely and cost effective manner is to terminate the representation?
For me, at stake was time with my kids, and I felt that was too great a risk to not be represented legally or to skimp out.

Moreover, I have friends who work in the court system. I have been told that it looks better, even if its just for optics, to be represented by a lawyer. The courtrooms are backlogged beyond belief. Some judges really dislike self-reps going in, not knowing what they're doing, and wasting valuable court time. Having a lawyer shows the judge you are serious about resolving your case properly and expeditiously.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:08 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcode View Post

You will still need independent legal advice to sign the agreement. Plus if a judge doesnt agree and sign off you will need a lawyer.

Your best bet is to stop being so impatient and anxious and do what your lawyer says.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:17 PM

If both parties will drop the case after come to a settlement, the dispute solved out of the court, does it still need to go thru the court approval?