Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an Adult Child co-sign an Agreement

hi all,

Going to have a CS lump sum settlement where an adult child is involved, is it legal or OK to have an adult child co-sign the agreement? I know CS can be brought up again anytime later on, just wanted to make a clear settlement in case any argument arises either with ex or adult child.

Thanks for your time and inputs!

Originally posted by gmcode View Post
    hi all,

Going to have a CS lump sum settlement where an adult child is involved, is it legal or OK to have an adult child co-sign the agreement? I know CS can be brought up again anytime later on, just wanted to make a clear settlement in case any argument arises either with ex or adult child.

Thanks for your time and inputs!

Stop posting multiple threads on the same topic.

No a child cannot sign the agreement as they are considered a child of the marriage to be eligible for support and your ex is the person the agreement is with.

Again, stop with the lump sum considerations. It is a really stupid idea and will screw you in the end.

Comment

If they are an adult child why is Cs being paid? You pay CS to the other parent, not the child

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

there is an adult child in post secondary, let him know and agree to work with mom for school fees as the lump sum paid.

Comment

Originally posted by gmcode View Post
          there is an adult child in post secondary, let him know and agree to work with mom for school fees as the lump sum paid.

Not how it works. You should see a lawyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No.

Children (even adult children) should not be parties to these agreements. This is an even worse idea than lump sum child support.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
              No.

Children (even adult children) should not be parties to these agreements. This is an even worse idea than lump sum child support.
              I don't disagree but, after the age of 18 child support, as it is the "right of the child" should be paid to the child unless the child has a recognized guardianship due to a disability that prevents them from handling money.

Want to end parental conflict on stuff like this. Pay the child support directly to the child from both parents for their support. If at 18 you can be criminally responsible for your actions, drive a car, vote in an election and pretty much live on your own... then you should be developing those life skills and managing your own money for school.

Intact families often cut off children from financial support at age 18. In this situation the child can indeed take their parents to court for support themselves. Why have parents battle it out.

We are creating generations of adults unable to manage their own finances. Really a sad state across the board.

Comment

I don't disagree but, after the age of 18 child support, as it is the "right of the child" should be paid to the child unless the child has a recognized guardianship due to a disability that prevents them from handling money.
                I concur that 18+ "Children" should be more responsible for their own finances. However, in family law that is not the presumptive method of payment.

Key word in this is 'should'

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X