No announcement yet.

ex wants to settle!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your ex have family/relatives in Canada?
    Yes RESP's could be attached by creditors. I believe last October there was a change to RRSP's and bankruptcy so you might want to check if there have been any changes that would have an impact on your situation.

How does he have another passport? Please explain.

So you were not knowledgeable about the other wife while you were married? Did his second marriage happen when you were separated or were you still together? Where is wife #2?

Comment

While I feel for your plight and that of other fathers, it wasn't that long ago (1960s) when a woman had absolutely NO RIGHTS, and was entitled to NOTHING during and after a divorce.
      While the system has perhaps swung too far one way, it's a lot better than it used to be.
      Last edited by Epona; 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
        Does your ex have family/relatives in Canada?
        Yes RESP's could be attached by creditors. I believe last October there was a change to RRSP's and bankruptcy so you might want to check if there have been any changes that would have an impact on your situation.

How does he have another passport? Please explain.

So you were not knowledgeable about the other wife while you were married? Did his second marriage happen when you were separated or were you still together? Where is wife #2?
        He has a passport for an Arab country. I did not know of her until after I left. They were married before I left. I assume the wife lives with him wherever he may be.

Comment

Guys NBdad was venting.... Everyone here has a story....This thread is NBDad's story....Lets stick to his issues.

If you want to talk about your issues start your own thread, there is no need to sling mud.

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
            Guys NBdad was venting.... Everyone here has a story....This thread is NBDad's story....Lets stick to his issues.

If you want to talk about your issues start your own thread, there is no need to sling mud.
            Agreed X1000

Comment

Perhaps TakeOnTheWorld would start a new thread or one of the moderators could move her posts there.

I am quite interested in hearing more about her polygamist ex who is on the lam.

Comment

NBDad - sorry about the sidetracking.... You most certainly have had a stressful time. I'd view your lawyer like a realtor. Realtor is obligated to bring offers to client.

You are in control of the decision to settle or not to settle. Your lawyer works for you.

Comment

I'd like to add that my intentions werent trying to sidetrack his post. I was and am pointing out that women just as men get a raw deal, its highly annoying given my situation. If OP simply wanted to vent...go ahead and vent. But DO NOT make it seem that women have it easy. It was a very ignorant statement to make.

There is no need to start a new thread with my particulars. He really isn't worth anyones time.

Comment

Here's the facts for you kiddo....like em, lump em, whatever.

A woman can be a crack addicted, whore, whose is running a "now serving number" gangbang train in her room, while the paroled boyfriend is cooking meth in the kitchen.

As long as the kids aren't serving refreshments to the guys in the lineup, while being forced to call boyfriend "Daddy", she will get multiple chances in the legal system.

A woman can make multiple mistakes and still pull off custody.

A guy has to play it absolutely perfectly, with little/no missteps to do the same.

Those are indisputable facts. Are there exceptions? You betcha.

But 9/10 if you roll the dice, everything else being equal, the law leans, often time very significantly...in the mother's favor.

It's gotten better, but there are still many many justice's out there where this holds true.

A father has an uphill battle. A mother, by and large, has a level playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
                      A mother, by and large, has a level playing field.

Please point me in the direction of my level playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by takeontheworld View Post
                        Please point me in the direction of my level playing field.
                        Your playing field has little to do with family law than it has to do with international law. You have orders or have the ability to otherwise obtain orders. Your ex has fled the jurisdiction, and is therefore outside the reach of the court system. There is nothing that can be done about this, as according to you, Canada does not have a reciprocal agreement with the country your ex fled to.

Your issue has little to do with family law/courts. You've obtained orders to dispose of the ex's consent etc. And if you haven't you can if you so choose. The real issue you have is that your ex is a dirtbag for abandoning his child and is essentially untouchable due to where he lives. That isn't family laws fault.

Comment

My level playing field is that my conflict-driven ex decided to escalate what should have been a simple divorce proceeding into an ongoing 3 1/2 year legal circus which has cost me in the neighborhood of over 80k in cash so far.

If I didn't want to lose custody/access, I had zero choice but to participate in needless litigation and custody evaluations...which so far has resulted in my ex doing far worse than he would have if he had simply agreed to mediation.

I went through an in-depth custody evaluation and didn't get any special treatment. All I know is that because my ex was pissed that I wanted a divorce and a chance to be happy in life and so he was able to use the court system to try to exact revenge. I must have missed the part where chicks get off easy because I haven't had that experience at all.

Comment

We have had a case and settlement conference...we have been before a judge twice. The ex claims he has been unemployed for 3 years meanwhile the years leading up to that he had made 100kplus. To date, no judge has even imputed his earnings. Correct me if I'm wrong, is that not still family law? Nothing has been imputed, there has been no cs order because if there was atleast an order, if he were to come back into Canada, he could be arrested on entry. It is not family law to order cs?

Comment

If I didn't want to lose custody/access, I had zero choice but to participate in needless litigation and custody evaluations
                              For which there are remedies that your representation should be using. (ie. costs, vexatious litigant designation for your ex, etc).

I'm into 6 figures total cost by now in under 4 years. I've had now TWO in depth assessments that combined have taken over a year and a half.

I've said all along if my ex were to be reasonable about it, she would have WAY more time than she has had to this point.

Comment

Originally posted by takeontheworld View Post
                                We have had a case and settlement conference...we have been before a judge twice. The ex claims he has been unemployed for 3 years meanwhile the years leading up to that he had made 100kplus. To date, no judge has even imputed his earnings. Correct me if I'm wrong, is that not still family law? Nothing has been imputed, there has been no cs order because if there was atleast an order, if he were to come back into Canada, he could be arrested on entry. It is not family law to order cs?
                                Did you specifically request the imputation of income? Did you outline the respective sections of the guidelines (19) that deal with this?

Did you request full disclosure of his income tax information for the last 3 years? Did he refuse this? Did your representation then schedule an appearance before the judge and request an order for disclosure?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X