Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:10 PM

h3artBreak is on a distinguished road
Question Constant Adjournemnets

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me - how many times can a responding party expect to adjourn a first appearance?

I filed a motion to change, no response no consent within the 30 day timeline. This is in the Ontario Court of Justice, so the first court date was set when I filed the motion to change. First court date came today, responding party still did not serve or file anything today.

Now we have a new first appearance date another month in the future.

I would be surprised if the other party serves and files on time for this date. This seems to be part of their strategy.

What happens when we still don't have all the docs in order at the next first appearance date?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:04 PM

ringettteplayer is on a distinguished road

Hi i certainly can empathize with your situation, i *believe (if memory serves) its 7 times they can adjourn.
and 3 times for special chambers, dont be surprised if the opposing lawyer or respondant doesnt have his her materials ready it is all stall tatics n delays of the enevitable. When the other side adjourns it plays in your favour.
Patience is a vitrue and facts are the the facts.
Hang on tight for an emotional rollercoaster. I have applied for a divorce 2 1/2 years ago and still no financial disclosure, it will cost you thousands to chase them.
im sorry if this is not the message you want to hear but trust me many of us on this forum have been through it and still are going through it.

I wish you all the best and a speedy justice!:/

Tags
adjourn, delay