Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 PM

Max22258 is on a distinguished road

You have lots of works on your hand, did you try to get it settles with an appointed attorney by the province. This is what usually people will try and this is what you should ask from the judge first. This is also a preference from judges to have it settle out of court.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 PM

riverbag is on a distinguished road
Default Not as much help needed as first thought

It seems I have a better grasp on this stuff than I thought, with a tonne of help from a number of people on the forum. Gonna schedule discoveries and then submit the evidence. Still moving forward.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Discoveries/Questioning - Thats what Forms 20 Request to Admit and Form 22 is for..Save yourself time..You should also preparing you witness list if applicable.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM

hld is on a distinguished road

My boyfriend now has to go to court very soon, his ex is claiming(lying) that he has not been paying child support for the past year, which in fact he has, we have the proof that she is lying!! and as well she has lied about alot things and there is proof! I just hope the proof we have is good enough for the judge and no back support (that has been paid) has to be paid again.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:41 PM

yes right proof does not mean a thing in family court, well that is what I found out. Even presentation does not mean a thing, as my lawyer knew my case by heart. The only thing that matters is how the judge see it.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:13 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max22258 View Post
yes right proof does not mean a thing in family court
Proof and the truth does mean a lot as you get closer to trial.

Judges have so much more latitude to express their opinion at an informal proceeding like a case/settlement conference, where the discussions are not made part of the continuing record.

At a motion or a trial the judge's decisions are public and must pass the evidentiary test.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:41 AM

well i had all mine and still trying to get the furniture stolen that she says was her but strangely i had all my receipt. Police do not want to enforce a thing. So back to court but this time small claim court, will try that way to see.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 PM

Talking Discoveries done :)

Well Discoveries done and it went better than I could have dreamed!! She admitted to almost everything I had been claiming all along, agreed there are no issues, said I'm a good father and agreed the kids love me and enjoy spending time with me...I don't see what they're holding on to, but Trial is in 6 weeks, so we keep moving forward...Trial record next and then keep pushing...any suggestions from anyone?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM

Default Trial Record

Can someone clear something up for me, the Trial record needs to contain "The relevant parts of any transcript on which the party intends to rely at trial.", do I take that literally and admit all of my e-mail evidence with the trial record??
Closed Thread