Braces and insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braces and insurance

Upon my divorce 12 years ago it was stated that I keep our children under my health insurance which is obvious. Since I have changed jobs the health insurance changed and I was no longer covered for braces. In order for me to get coverage for braces it will cost an extra $400 out of pocket. I let my ex know that if she wanted in on the coverage for braces it would be $200 each and she is refusing saying it is my responsibility. How does this work? We are both pro-rata for braces. Of course I will be getting the 400 coverage but can I use the $1,500 towards my own expenses or do I still have to share that 1500 per year with my ex?

I was in the same boat and I was told that any coverage is deducted from the total before splitting the cost.

Personally I think that if I am paying for the upgraded heath coverage out of my own pocket, the gains from it should be mine and mine alone. But who ever said Family Law was fair in any way!

Comment

I was wonder the same thing we both had coverage for 50% of b aces so it would have cover d almost everything. Then ex quit a salaried benefit job to be self employed. Does the plan I have cover my half or do we each pay a proportional share after my plan. I suspect that in my case no, I have to pay a proportional amount but as yours is extra you are buying on top maybe you wouldn’t? Your work doesn’t pay for it. Also is it 400$ one time or 400$ per year or monthly?

Comment

400 per year and it does not start until the January calendar year so I have asked her to hold off on any brace work as she is only 11 years old. She I think it's going ahead with it so there is no coverage until January. A bit unreasonable

Comment

The federal section 7 guidelines are quite clear https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/...ep7-etap7.html Special or extraordinary expenses include "the portion of your medical and dental insurance premiums that provides coverage for your child"

Comment

Braces and insurance

Look at the costs...

How much are braces going to cost without the $400 a month? $4000? Subtract the tax benefit (which I believe is $500 but don’t quote me. Then split the $3500 proportionate to income. What is that amount? If it is less than a year of $400 a month, don’t get the benefits. Presumably you would need to pay the monthly benefits costs for the duration of the treatment and that may be more money than the braces themselves.

ETA: I just saw it was $400 per year. You have to have coverage for your kids. Pay the $400 and save the money you would have to pay. Does the premium mean the braces are completely covered, get the $400 coverage and be done with it. You are fighting over $200 when you would have to pay $4000!

Comment

Originally posted by dad_needs_help View Post
              Of course I will be getting the 400 coverage but can I use the $1,500 towards my own expenses or do I still have to share that 1500 per year with my ex?

The cost of braces is split between spouses AFTER taking into consideration all insurance coverage. So unfortunately you won't get to the take the coverage for yourself.

That said, the cost of insurance is an s7 expense and should be split proportionally between each parent, but that rarely happens. It is especially rare if the ex also has their own insurance that they pay for, as the cost is mitigated by the expense the other parent is incurring.

Does your ex also have insurance? If yes, do they pay a premium for it? If yes, I would simply say the costs cancel out and you each share the cost of braces after all insurance coverage is used. If the ex doesn't have insurance, you could push them to pay their proportional share of the cost of your insurance premium. But unless they make the same or greater than you, it may be one of those costs that aren't worth the effort.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X