Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:22 AM

DDM is on a distinguished road
Default Child care costs - Help!

My ex and I have been separated for just over a year and about to finalize our divorce. We have one child who is 1 1/2 yrs. Up until recently my ex has been living with her parents and the grandmother has been taking care of my son while my ex works. My ex says "it's none of my business", but it appears she has moved out of her parent's home (probably with her boy friend). She informed me that she has registered my son for day care and will need $800/month.

In our separation agreement I am responsible for 86% of the 'extras'. This was based on 2009 income tax returns. My ex was not working at the time of the separation so her income was only $5,000. She has however been working for the past year and probably makes as much as I do.

I understand my son's childcare needs to be paid for but I just don't have the money. What are my options?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:32 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Negotiate with her to be reasonable for starters. She needs to pay a proportionately higher amount since she is working. If she refuses, then tell her that she leaves you no choice but to bring a motion to change the CS.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:45 PM

Pharah is on a distinguished road

Agreed and make sure you either record or document (email) the conversation.

Last edited by Pharah; 11-25-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:03 PM

Epona is on a distinguished road

Child Support can be adjusted to more accurately reflect your present income. You can try negotiating with her by supplying a copy of your most recent pay stub(s), showing what you are earning.
To determine proportionate shares for S.7 expenses, she needs to supply you with her most recent pay stub(s).
IF the two of can't negotiate, then try mediation (and each of you have your own lawyer). If after trying between yourselves, mediation, lawyers, then try court. That might not take very long if you've tried the other resolution methods first.
Oh yes, and negotiate only with the written word so you have evidence to what you've "said".
Closed Thread