Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 11:22 AM
DDM DDM is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
DDM is on a distinguished road
Default Child care costs - Help!

My ex and I have been separated for just over a year and about to finalize our divorce. We have one child who is 1 1/2 yrs. Up until recently my ex has been living with her parents and the grandmother has been taking care of my son while my ex works. My ex says "it's none of my business", but it appears she has moved out of her parent's home (probably with her boy friend). She informed me that she has registered my son for day care and will need $800/month.

In our separation agreement I am responsible for 86% of the 'extras'. This was based on 2009 income tax returns. My ex was not working at the time of the separation so her income was only $5,000. She has however been working for the past year and probably makes as much as I do.

I understand my son's childcare needs to be paid for but I just don't have the money. What are my options?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:32 PM
dadtotheend's Avatar
dadtotheend dadtotheend is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,644
dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Negotiate with her to be reasonable for starters. She needs to pay a proportionately higher amount since she is working. If she refuses, then tell her that she leaves you no choice but to bring a motion to change the CS.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Pharah Pharah is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brampton
Posts: 385
Pharah is on a distinguished road

Agreed and make sure you either record or document (email) the conversation.

Last edited by Pharah; 11-25-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Epona's Avatar
Epona Epona is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brampton
Posts: 422
Epona is on a distinguished road

Child Support can be adjusted to more accurately reflect your present income. You can try negotiating with her by supplying a copy of your most recent pay stub(s), showing what you are earning.
To determine proportionate shares for S.7 expenses, she needs to supply you with her most recent pay stub(s).
IF the two of can't negotiate, then try mediation (and each of you have your own lawyer). If after trying between yourselves, mediation, lawyers, then try court. That might not take very long if you've tried the other resolution methods first.
Oh yes, and negotiate only with the written word so you have evidence to what you've "said".
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Child Care Expense Question 6911 Financial Issues 2 02-22-2011 08:50 AM
Why 'shared' custody? sasha1 Political Issues 35 07-01-2010 12:17 AM
How Do You Split Child Care Costs? #1StepMom Financial Issues 4 12-12-2008 09:10 AM
Legal Aid serrona Divorce & Family Law 1 10-27-2006 07:00 PM
bigamy? lost in relation Divorce & Family Law 1 10-22-2006 09:45 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.