This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex will not give recipts for CS & SS

My Issue is that my ex will not give receipts for the CS and SS that she receives from me. I have attempted to communicate to her that I want to receive receipts every time I deliver her CS & SS cheques, but to no avail.
    I am at the point of wanting to withhold her CS & SS until she issues me receipts.
    Any suggestions on how to convince Ex to cooperate ?

You are paying by cheque?Your bank has records of those cheques after she deposits them.You have the info already-why do you need receipts?

Comment

I need the receipts to be able to claim the deduction for paying SS. CCRA has told me that cancelled cheques are not acceptable.

Comment

Yes, Canada revenue will not allow the deduction unless you have the court order and receipts that clearly state who's paying, who's receiving and the amount.

My bf had this problem, every time he asked for receipt he got an LOL! text but no receipt. We eventually had to request it through the lawyers after 6 months. (he tried bank deposit receipts, bank statements, EVERYTHING but Canada REvenue wanted very specific records.

He's anticipating that this year will be the same hassle. He pays through FRO and they do NOT issue statements of payment.

It's yet another screwed up part of family law.

The only advice I have is to go through the lawyers if she is going to be difficult.

Comment

My husband just told his ex that he willhave to register through FRO since she is not providing the receipts and she will have to wait for couple of months to receive support money. Works like charm, every year! Andevery year she tries to play the game of not providing receipts

If that doesn't work in your case, for CRA, ask to speak with the supervisor. If you are paying by check, the amounts are same as in SA, it does show the name of te receipient and the name of the payor. Just explain your situation and I am sure that it will fine.

Comment

Alternatives...

I would not pay by cheque anyway. You don't get the receipt aspect, as you have already found out, and cheques can be a source of "conflict" with ex's that want to play games.

You could use money orders - CanadaPost money orders. Of course, they are expensive per money order, but then you have your receipt and record that you paid her.

I just use online Interac email money transfers, if she has an email account. You send the money, and you're done. I would do that if I were you, since it sounds like your ex is high conflict, given the fact she won't provide a simple receipt. But like others have suggested - you don't need her, to have "receipts". You a method that doesn't rely on her.

Comment

"Use a method that doesn't rely on her." ... is what I meant to say. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bookgirl1209 View Post
                He's anticipating that this year will be the same hassle. He pays through FRO and they do NOT issue statements of payment.
                http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/s...e/FRO-003E.pdf

You should be able to ask for a statement of account from the FRO.

Comment

That would be a statement of arrears.
                  He's not in arrears, he pays regularly.
                  FRO has told him that they do not supply any kind of statement or record or receipt of payment at all.

Comment

Also the first year he paid her, through money deposited right into her account, he had the court order with the amounts, bank deposit slips that showed that amount going into her account at regular court ordered intervals...CRA wouldn't take it.

When he started paying her through FRO, he had the court order with the amounts, his bank statements showing payment to FRO in the amount ordered on the time intervals ordered ...CRA wouldn't take it.

The only thing they accepted was a receipt from her...which she refused to give him for 6 months.

Comment

In order for the SS to be deductible, you must have either a signed agreement or a court order. Such agreement or court order must be registered with CRA on their prescribed form. Once you do that they will never ask for a proof as long as you claim up to the registered amount.

Comment

This is the first I have heard about the need to give/receive receipts. I figured that as long as we had our agreement/order, and our amounts equalled (ss income vs ss paid), everything would be hunky dorey.

Comment

Well, hopefully this year will be different but last year he had the court order, he had the amount that he paid (shown in his bank statements to FRO) and Canada Revenue disallowed the deductions because they needed receipts that showed the payee, the payor and the amount.

Comment

So then once again off I go to keep putting my Lawyers children through university. It just does not make any sense that the ex would not issue a receipt. It is not like she is going to lose anything over it, I am most certainly not going to grant her any concessions to get my receipts .
                            Just for chits & giggles I signed up for MEP and they told me to stop payment on every postdated cheque and they will get around to setting up my account in about 8 weeks. Now that is going to hurt over the Christmas season.
                            I feel much better now, Thank you everyone J

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X